Can I Use a Capacitor to Power My Home Outlet?

  • Thread starter Thread starter indigojoker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Capacitor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
indigojoker
Messages
240
Reaction score
0
Would I blow a fuse if I put a large capacitor across the outlet of my house?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We are waiting with baited breath!

Presumably, you have AC. What does the C do in a circuit?
 
charges up right? but what happens when it's in AC?
 
What does AC mean..alternating current...that means the current changes direction with time which means that..the capacitor should charge in one direction and discharge in the other
 
The capacitor has a reactance Rc to AC, which is pretty much similar to resistance in DC.

Rc = I/wC, where w = 2(pi)f. In analogy with DC, V = I*Rc => I = 2(pi)VfC, where V and I are actually the RMS values. V and f are set by the power companies, and you can't do anything about them.

By making C high, you can increase I. To blow a fuse, you need around 5 A of current. Now do the math for what C you need.

SO, when are you planning to do it?