Can I use a regular magnet for a homopolar motor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Qube
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homopolar Magnet
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Qube
Gold Member
Messages
461
Reaction score
1
I have 1 week to build a motor.

I'm looking at building a homopolar motor.

I know I need a magnet. But does it have to be a neodymium one? And is Amazon a good place for such magnets?

And does the screw have to be a ferromagnetic one?

And if anyone has built such a motor, some hints and tips would be appreciated :D!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't really know much about building motors because it's crazy to build one when you can buy whichever one you need. So I guess my really only useful commentary is that you may be able to make a DC motor a lot easier, it's a classic because of the application to faraday's law.