Lorentz force in motor other than homopolar

In summary: To make a motor work you need at least two coils, which is why most motors use a commutator to allow more than one coil to turn.
Aaron380
Hello, I am trying to build a motor. Just a prototype I guess and learning at the moment so just simple stuff but I can't make it work..

I have seen the examples of a homopolar motor and understand the direction of force due to Lorentz force. To be simple I don't want, and don't see the need for a 'switching' motor. One where the current must reverse to change polarities of electromagnets.

In the case of the homopolar motor you find with any google or youtube search there is no coiled wire leading to inefficiency and low power as there isn't much of a force coming from one short travel distance in the magnetic field. Is it possible to place magnets on a disc (I literally have an old CD here with magnets around the edge).

with the poles facing up and down with the disc flat on the ground there should be vertical field lines around the edge of the disc right? I can't seem to find any way to make the disc spin without moving the coil I am trying to spin it with.

There is an effect, but it seems like just a standard electromagnet effect going on. The only coil I have is kind of small but the magnets are just attracted to the 'poles' of the coil. Not pushed perpendicular to them.

Essentially I'm after the simplicity of the homopolar motor but without 'brushes' rubbing and scalable power without burning out one small wire..

Hope I'm making sense, its midnight and I'm giving up for now..

Thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you discovered the principal constraint of homopolar motors, and why they're not in great use. Even Wikipedia says:

"This simplicity is achieved at the cost of not being able to have more than one coil turn, which makes this configured homopolar motor unsuited for most useful applications."

What is the Lorentz force in a motor?

The Lorentz force is the force exerted on a charged particle moving through a magnetic field. In a motor, this force is responsible for the rotation of the motor's rotor, as it acts on the current-carrying conductors in the motor's magnetic field.

How does the Lorentz force affect the operation of a motor?

The Lorentz force causes a torque on the rotor of a motor, which results in the rotation of the motor's shaft. This rotation is what allows the motor to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy.

What factors influence the strength of the Lorentz force in a motor?

The strength of the Lorentz force in a motor is influenced by the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the conductors, and the angle between the direction of current and the magnetic field.

Can the Lorentz force be used to control the speed of a motor?

Yes, the Lorentz force can be used to control the speed of a motor by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field or the amount of current flowing through the conductors. This is how variable speed motors are able to operate.

How is the Lorentz force different in a homopolar motor compared to other motors?

In a homopolar motor, the magnetic field and current are always in the same direction, resulting in a constant Lorentz force. In other motors, the magnetic field and current are typically perpendicular, which results in a varying Lorentz force depending on the position of the rotor.