Can I Verify the Flow Rate of an Exhaust Fan Based on Specifications?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
JoshDeM
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
I've been given some specifications by a company for an exhaust fan that I am looking at purchasing for my company. They tell me it is 10,900 cfm. Then given some specs on the electrical requirements. I am wondering with the information given could I check their given flow rate?

I imagine that I will need to make a few assumptions along the way. I want to make sure they aren't out to lunch.
Below are the specs

243675
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No.
The actual volume for the fan will depend on inlet and outlet conditions. The manufacturer will have (or you may not want to do business with them) a fan curve showing the relationship between pressure and flow. unless you're using it with no ducts and no restrictions, you'll need to figure out where your system curve intersects their fan curve. Figuring out your system curve can be a real PITA.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ChemAir, JoshDeM, DaveE and 2 others
Dullard said:
you'll need to figure out where your system curve intersects their fan curve.
Yes! The single published CFM number isn't very useful in design, it's really for sorting fans to consider more carefully. Start by finding the "fan curve" (CFM vs. pressure) in the data sheet. Notice that for almost every fan you will actually get much lower CFM than that single number at most pressures. Systems are usually designed to operate in the middle, flatter part of the fan curve, where the flow is less sensitive to back pressure. It is your system (enclosure, ducting, etc.) that will determine the pressure that the fan will experience. As Dullard said, your system has its own flow vs. pressure curve.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: JoshDeM