Can interactions happen at less than the Planck Time?

In summary, the PBS Spacetime video mentioned that some subatomic interactions occur at scales smaller than the Planck Time and Length, contrary to the common belief that these are the cutoff lengths for interactions. This is a common misunderstanding and there is an Insights article discussing it. The existence and significance of the Planck Length is only considered legitimate by theories such as Loop Quantum Gravity.
bbbl67
I was watching this PBS Spacetime video, and something they said bugged me. They said that some subatomic interactions are occurring at time scales less than the Planck Time. And thus, this would also mean that these things are happening at scales less than the Planck Length as well. My understanding had been until now that Planck Length and Time are the cut-off lengths for interactions. What should I believe?

Here's the video that I was watching, and the statement occurs at 6:36 of the video:

Physics news on Phys.org
Plank time and Plank length are man-made specifications. Nature doesn't care.

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Likes dlgoff

1. Can interactions occur at time intervals less than the Planck Time?

According to the current understanding of physics, the Planck Time is the smallest possible unit of time. This means that interactions cannot occur at time intervals less than the Planck Time.

2. Why is the Planck Time considered the smallest unit of time?

The Planck Time is based on the fundamental constants of nature, including the speed of light, the gravitational constant, and the Planck constant. These constants represent the smallest possible values in the universe and therefore, the Planck Time is considered the smallest unit of time.

3. Are there any exceptions to the rule that interactions cannot occur at less than the Planck Time?

Currently, there are no known exceptions to this rule. However, there are theories that suggest the concept of "quantum foam" where space and time are constantly fluctuating and interactions could potentially occur at smaller intervals. However, this is still a topic of research and has not been proven.

4. How does the Planck Time relate to other units of time?

The Planck Time is an extremely small unit of time, measuring at 5.39 x 10^-44 seconds. It is much smaller than other commonly used units of time, such as nanoseconds, which are equal to 1 x 10^-9 seconds.

5. Could future advancements in technology or understanding change our understanding of the Planck Time?

It is always possible that with new technology and scientific discoveries, our understanding of the Planck Time and its limitations could change. However, this is currently not supported by any evidence and the Planck Time remains the smallest unit of time according to our current understanding of physics.