It is said that we can not go lower than the planck limit

In summary: Exactly. Space can't be looked on as made up of Cuisenaire rods. The Planck Length is more of a notional thing than a division on a piece of graph paper.
Molari
Hi. My nephew asked me a good question.

I am trying to understand the Planck limit. It is said that we can not go lower than the Planck limit.
But if we had a an imaginary powerful microscope to see at the plank level, and if we placed 2 Planck end to end with "half" a Planck sized length separating space between the Plancks, does that half a Planck space not conflict with the limit?

Thank you ahead for your time and kindness to give a reply. :)

Kind regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I checked wikipedia before posting but it did not answer my question. :/

Molari said:
Hi. My nephew asked me a good question.

I am trying to understand the Planck limit. It is said that we can not go lower than the Planck limit.
But if we had a an imaginary powerful microscope to see at the plank level, and if we placed 2 Planck end to end with "half" a Planck sized length separating space between the Plancks, does that half a Planck space not conflict with the limit?

Thank you ahead for your time and kindness to give a reply. :)

Kind regards
What you can see at this distance is a subject of speculation. It is unclear whether the experiment you described is even possible. The wiki article is a good summary.

Molari said:
Would be rather blurred image to inspect

zoki85 said:
Would be rather blurred image to inspect
Exactly. Space can't be looked on as made up of Cuisenaire rods. The Planck Length is more of a notional thing than a division on a piece of graph paper.

1. What is the Planck Limit?

The Planck Limit, also known as the Planck Scale, is the smallest possible unit of measurement in the universe. It is named after the physicist Max Planck and is approximately 1.6 x 10^-35 meters.

2. Why is it said that we cannot go lower than the Planck Limit?

According to current theories in physics, the Planck Limit is the smallest scale that can exist in the universe. Going below this limit would require understanding and manipulating the fundamental forces of nature, which is currently beyond our technological capabilities.

3. Is there any evidence to support the existence of the Planck Limit?

While we cannot directly observe the Planck Limit, it is a fundamental part of many theories in physics, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. These theories have been extensively tested and have accurately predicted many phenomena, giving support to the existence of the Planck Limit.

4. What happens if we try to go below the Planck Limit?

It is currently unknown what would happen if we were able to manipulate objects at a scale smaller than the Planck Limit. Some theories suggest that space and time become distorted at this scale, while others propose the existence of multiple dimensions beyond our current understanding.

5. Are there any potential implications for surpassing the Planck Limit?

If we were able to manipulate objects at the Planck Scale, it could open up new possibilities for technology and understanding the universe. However, it is also possible that this could lead to unforeseen consequences or challenges that we are not yet able to comprehend.