Can Internet Blacklists Be Stopped?

• News
  • Thread starter wittgenstein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary: Sure, and China blocks huge amounts of data, as do many middle-eastern states. The result is that an industry in other nations has grown to re-route data through secure tunneling proxies, or other means, all while the sites are not hosted in China. This bill would be murder for our "information economy", even if it is later repealed.I imagine for that reason it will never be passed...In summary, the movie industry is wanting a law that could possibly allow the complete shutdown of sites like youtube instead of just having them remove copyrighted links as they are reported. There are many supporters of this bill, including the Motion Picture Association of America, the US Chamber of Commerce, the
WhoWee said:
That sounds like a good thread topic - the evolution of unions...

I'd be in for that. It's shocking how quickly something that liberated a workforce was perverted, invaded by a criminal element, then finally settling into just another interest.

Physics news on Phys.org
Three things:

1. While the profitability of the traditional music business has no doubt declined, the production and availability of music has dramatically increased. The main expense with music was traditionally distribution, which is now basically free. The result is an explosion of "independent music" with a major decline in the sales of mainstream music. The model has fundamentally changed. Even if record companies were successful in preventing the illegal distribution of music, there is no shortage of bands who will "give it away for free." In my mind it is unlikely that the quality difference is such (especially with stuff like pro-tools freely available now) that people would resume paying for music in large numbers (I'm talking about mostly young people here.) What's popular now is more niche and locally based, as opposed to what's on the radio. For sure, people still listen to mainstream radio and base their preferences off of it, but these are mostly casual music fans.

2. A blacklist, like the Australian one, if created will only further the digital divide. It might have SOME effect, since some people won't be bothered to go through proxies. But proxy routing for most will just become more common, and more sophisticated. The Australian example also shows how easily such blacklists are abused, and while this won't be a problem for the technologically literate, it will as I said, further the digital divide.

3. What the government has been doing under COICA is seizing domain names. Since the site hoster can just switch to a non-US controlled domain name, this only stops very lazy people. The COICA thing was passed, but I haven't heard of a "blacklist." Anyone with specifics?

Last edited:
Just on the matter as to whether Wikileaks is blocked in Australia - just tried it;

http://www.wikileaks.com/

Wow ! Indeed, I get "Sorry, this site is not currently available"

Plenty of mirror sites though, at;

http://wikileaks.info/

There seems to be no blocking there.

alt said:
Just on the matter as to whether Wikileaks is blocked in Australia - just tried it;

http://www.wikileaks.com/

Wow ! Indeed, I get "Sorry, this site is not currently available"

Plenty of mirror sites though, at;

http://wikileaks.info/

There seems to be no blocking there.

PS - does anyone know WHY it's blocked in Australia ?

alt said:

Not a clue... although I find it odd. Thanks for making my point about blacklists though. I forgot that these days you can use server-side proxy and DNS plays instead of personal proxies.

Evo said:
The list of supporters has increased. Here is the current list of organizations backing the blacklist.

International Brotherhood of Teamsters
International Association of Fire Fighters
Property Rights Alliance
Motion Picture Association of America
Association of American Publishers
NBC Universal
International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
Entertainment Software Association
Merck
Coalition Against Domain Name Abuse
Johnson and Johnson
Xerox Corporation
Building & Construction Trades Department
US Chamber of Commerce
Screen Actors Guild
Viacom
International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts of the United States
Warner Music Group
Tiffany & Co
Major League Baseball
Fortune Brands
Nike Inc
Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers, and Grain Millers International Union
Communication Workers of America

That's an interesting list of supporters. If it does pass then I agree that there will be workarounds. Anyway, I signed the petition -- we've got enough questionable laws already.

alt said:
They leaked information embarrassing to the Australian government, so Australia blacklisted them.

i just tried org, and it is actually redirecting to info now

Proton Soup said:
i just tried org, and it is actually redirecting to info now

Wow... that's one hell of a firewall AU is sporting huh? :wink: