Searching a book's contents instead of a book title on internet archives?

In summary, you want to search for topics or chapters in the internet archives, not just words. You would do this by entering the topic or chapter in the search bar and hitting the search button. If the topic or chapter is included in the archive's content, the search results will include all the books that have that topic or chapter in their contents.
brainbaby
hi..

I am using internet archives for searching a book.

Normally the method of searching a book on internet archives is as follows-- we enter a word/ phrase/ book title that we want to search in the search tab and hit the search button, the result that is displayed are all the books that have that word or similar in their "TITLE".
But I want to make a reverse search instead, a TOPIC search.
i.e by entering a topic or chapter in the search tab.. the result that should be displayed must contain all the books having that topic or chapter in their contents... how can I do that.?

thanks!

https://archive.org/

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be possible only for books that have their content released in digital form and indexed by the search engines. Publishers are not too happy about doing that.

Borek said:
That would be possible only for books that have their content released in digital
Yes, I am talking of only those books.

Borek said:
That would be possible
How??

Search for a subject.

brainbaby said:
Yes, I am talking of only those books.

You have missed the second part:

Borek said:
and indexed by the search engines

Yes, some books are fully indexed. No, there is no sure way of finding them.

brainbaby said:
hi..

I am using internet archives for searching a book.

Normally the method of searching a book on internet archives is as follows-- we enter a word/ phrase/ book title that we want to search in the search tab and hit the search button, the result that is displayed are all the books that have that word or similar in their "TITLE".
But I want to make a reverse search instead, a TOPIC search.
i.e by entering a topic or chapter in the search tab.. the result that should be displayed must contain all the books having that topic or chapter in their contents... how can I do that.?

thanks!

https://archive.org/
You left out the most important part: why?

In detail: Why do you want to possibly, i.e. very likely breach the copyright laws?

A list of books is in my mind pretty worthless without reading at least a chapter of each. A suitable book depends on the preferences of the reader. Even asking on the internet, e.g. here, will get you answers that cover the entire range. By range, I mean something like: from Bourbaki, over Russian literature, to pre-Bourbaki novels. How could anybody choose without having classified the type, let alone the style?

My procedure was always to know whom you can ask for a recommendation.

If you want to study a certain subject, then google "<subject> + pdf" and you will find dozens of lecture notes. Now you can choose simply by opening one after the other.P.S.: arxiv.org is a good location if you want to break the law!

fresh_42 said:
You left out the most important part: why?

In detail: Why do you want to possibly, i.e. very likely breach the copyright laws?

A list of books is in my mind pretty worthless without reading at least a chapter of each. A suitable book depends on the preferences of the reader. Even asking on the internet, e.g. here, will get you answers that cover the entire range. By range, I mean something like: from Bourbaki, over Russian literature, to pre-Bourbaki novels. How could anybody choose without having classified the type, let alone the style?

My procedure was always to know whom you can ask for a recommendation.

If you want to study a certain subject, then google "<subject> + pdf" and you will find dozens of lecture notes. Now you can choose simply by opening one after the other.P.S.: arxiv.org is a good location if you want to break the law!
I believe you mean archive.org, not arxiv.org. (unless you are against preprints :wink:)

It is not clear that archive.org is illegal. It is being fought in the courts.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/litig...fate-digital-book-lending-lawsuit-2022-09-06/
(from September 2022)

PF currently does not allow archive.org links. It used to, so one might find some old links.

Likes Hornbein
Frabjous said:
I believe you mean archive.org, not arxiv.org. (unless you are against preprints :wink:)
No. I meant arxiv.org. This is not only a preprint server!

I am against the many books on arxiv.org which - at least in principle, i.e. younger than 120 years - still have copyright protection.

If you're just looking to discover the existence of a book (and not have its whole contents for free), then Google Books is fairly good. Google won the copyright infringement case brought against it for Google Books.

sorry to reply a bit late..
just to clarify my point..

As we do some search in google books...the results that are displayed there are just exactly the way I want them to be displayed on internet archives.

for e.g I searched the following--" design a datapath from given instruction set" in google books & the result which is displayed contained all the books which contained my search item listed specifically under FOUND INSIDE section..
I've shared the screenshots of what I exactly want..

1. How do I search for specific content within a book on internet archives?

To search for specific content within a book on internet archives, you can use the advanced search feature. This allows you to enter keywords or phrases to narrow down your search results to specific pages or sections within a book.

2. Can I search for content within a specific book on internet archives?

Yes, you can search for content within a specific book on internet archives by using the book's title or author in the search bar. You can also use the advanced search feature to refine your search even further.

3. Are there any tips for finding specific content within a book on internet archives?

One tip is to use quotation marks around your search terms to find exact phrases within the book. You can also use the "Search within results" feature to further narrow down your search results.

4. Is it possible to search for content within a book on internet archives using multiple keywords?

Yes, you can use multiple keywords to search for content within a book on internet archives. You can also use Boolean operators such as "AND" or "OR" to combine your keywords for more specific results.

5. Can I search for content within a book on internet archives without knowing the book's title or author?

Yes, you can use keywords or phrases related to the content you are looking for in the search bar. You can also use the advanced search feature to narrow down your results to specific subjects or categories.