Can mass be compressed indefinitely?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an infinitely compressed object using a finite amount of energy. It is theorized that this can be achieved through the formation of a black hole, in which a singularity (a point where our models break down) is formed. It is also mentioned that at extremely high densities, atoms break down and form a soup-like material of quarks and gluons, as seen in a neutron star. However, the exact nature of a singularity is still unknown and subject to further research and discussion among experts.
envelope91
Hello, I am really new here and I am not sure if this is in the right secion, i just got a question about something I've thought about for a while.

If we assume that there is an infinite amount of energy in the universe, does that mean that there would teoretically be no limit on how much an object could be compressed?

I know that objects probably would get really hot if compressed enough, but still, speaking theoretically, if there is no limit on the power that compresses it..

What happens when the atoms simply can't get any closer to each other, is there such a limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can create an infinitely compressed object with a finite amount of energy. It's possible to gather enough mass together that its gravitational pull overcomes any possible internal pressure that would keep the mass from collapsing on itself. So the mass collapses on itself, and becomes a black hole, at the center of which is a "singularity"--an infinitely dense point mass.

When atoms are compressed to extremely high densities they break down, with the electrons being "absorbed" into the protons to form neutrons. This happens in a neutron star, which is the densest object known to exist besides a black hole. Increase the pressure further and it is theorized that the neutrons will break down and become a soup like material of quarks and gluons, which are what make up all hadrons. (Hadrons are particles made up of quarks, such as neutrons and protons)

Thanks for all the great answers, i will begin to translate them as well! Haha

Thanks!

The_Duck said:
... and becomes a black hole, at the center of which is a "singularity"--an infinitely dense point mass.

Actually, "singularity" is more appropriately described as "the place where our models break down and we really don't know WHAT is happening". I think most physicists do not actually think that the singularity is an "infinitely dense point mass". If there are experts here who think I'm wrong, I'm certainly open to correction.

What is mass compression?

Mass compression is the process of reducing the volume of an object while maintaining its mass. This can be achieved through the application of external forces or changes in temperature and pressure.

Is it possible to compress mass indefinitely?

No, it is not possible to compress mass indefinitely. All objects have a limit to how much they can be compressed before they undergo a phase change, such as melting or collapsing under extreme pressure.

What happens to the mass during compression?

The mass of an object remains the same during compression. However, the density of the object increases as its volume decreases.

Can any type of mass be compressed?

Yes, any type of mass can be compressed to a certain extent. However, the amount of compression that is possible depends on the properties of the material, such as its elasticity and melting point.

What are the practical applications of mass compression?

Mass compression has practical applications in various fields, such as manufacturing, construction, and material science. It is used to create stronger and more durable products, as well as to study the behavior of materials under extreme conditions.