Can Nuclei Emit Visible Light and Be Manipulated to Change Energy States?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
cragar
Messages
2,546
Reaction score
3
The nucleus of an atom has discrete energy states. And most of the time it emits gamma rays and x-rays from the nucleus. If I pack enough atoms into a solid or some other configuration could I get the nucleus to emit visible light. Is there any way I could manipulate the states to get them to emit visible light.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think that packing more atoms into a solid will cause a nucleus to emit any kind of radiation? Forming a solid is an atomic process involving electrons, not the nucleus energy states.

Zz.
 
cragar said:
good point, could we use alpha particles

It's puzzling what you are agreeing to, and what you are trying to ask/propose.

Zz.
 
yes..puzzling...

If I pack enough atoms into a solid or some other configuration could I get the nucleus to emit visible light.

As stated, I don't think so but you are not so far off.

Are thinking about nuclear fusion??

"The fusion of two nuclei with lower masses than iron... generally releases energy, while the fusion of nuclei heavier than iron absorbs energy."

[check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion]

That WILL do it.

"lower masses than iron" covers visible light from stars.. like our own sun.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
cragar said:
good point, could we use alpha particles

Alpha particle are atoms - just a specific type with no electrons.
 
If i get an alpha particle close to a nucleus would have one wave function interacting with another and it would seem that it would change the energy levels of the nucleus.