Is it Possible for Nuclei to Emit Visible Photons?

In summary: EM theory can be very helpful in understanding nuclear physics. According to this article, photons are emitted when the nucleus' energy levels differ. The photons correspond to the differences in energy between these states. This is why it is important to understand the energies of photons in the visible range, as they come from electron transitions. Another thing to consider is the electron binding energies. These are the energies required to bind one electron to the nucleus. This is important because it determines how stable the nucleus is. Electrons that are more tightly bound to the nucleus will be less likely to be released.
cragar
Can a nucleus in an atom emit visible light . I am aware that the nucleus has discrete energy levels,
And it seems that they only emit gamma rays, but could we make them emit visible photons.
I have just begun to study very basic nuclear physics in my classes. And i am taking EM theory right now to give you an idea of my background. And input will be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The photons emitted by nuclei correspond to differences in energy levels between states. We have to take them as they are. Visible photons result from electron state transitions.

cragar said:
Can a nucleus in an atom emit visible light . I am aware that the nucleus has discrete energy levels,
And it seems that they only emit gamma rays, but could we make them emit visible photons.
I have just begun to study very basic nuclear physics in my classes. And i am taking EM theory right now to give you an idea of my background. And input will be much appreciated.
Please review the energies of photons in the visible range. As mathman indicated, visible light comes from electron transitions, but more importantly, from the outermost electrons.

I recommend looking at the electron binding energies for inner electrons, and also the groups of emissions of Hydrogen lines.

Consider that the nuclear energy levels are on the order of keV/MeV.

thanks for the responses

I think the previous answers have been a little oversimplified. Just because the nuclear energy scale is generally 10^6 times greater than the energy of a visible light photon, that doesn't mean you can't have states very close together in energy. Odd-odd nuclei generally have a lot of nearly degenerate states near the ground state. You can easily get electromagnetic transitions in the keV range, and I don't see any reason why there wouldn't be some random cases where the energy was an eV. The real reason you won't see such low energy photons coming out is internal conversion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_conversion If you wanted to see an eV photon emitted from a nucleus, you'd probably want to look at an odd-odd nucleus with a low atomic number (IC increases with Z), and you'd have to look for an extremely small branching ratio for non-IC decay. There would also be competition from beta decay, since the partial half-life for electromagnetic decay would be extremely long, and odd-odd nuclei are all beta-unstable (except for 2H).

interesting I'm glad you responded.

Related to Is it Possible for Nuclei to Emit Visible Photons?

1. What are photons from the nucleus?

Photons from the nucleus are particles of light that are emitted from the nucleus of an atom. They are a type of electromagnetic radiation that are released when an atom undergoes a nuclear process, such as radioactive decay or nuclear fusion.

2. How are photons from the nucleus produced?

Photons from the nucleus are produced through a process called gamma decay. This occurs when a nucleus emits a photon in order to release excess energy and become more stable. Gamma decay can also occur during nuclear reactions, such as fission or fusion.

3. What is the significance of photons from the nucleus?

Photons from the nucleus are significant because they provide valuable information about the internal structure and properties of the nucleus. By studying the energy and frequency of these photons, scientists can gain a better understanding of nuclear processes and the fundamental forces that govern them.

4. Can photons from the nucleus be harmful?

In general, photons from the nucleus are not harmful because they have a very short range and do not penetrate deeply into matter. However, in certain situations, such as during nuclear accidents or exposure to radioactive materials, high levels of gamma radiation can be dangerous to living organisms.

5. How are photons from the nucleus detected and measured?

Photons from the nucleus can be detected and measured using specialized instruments, such as gamma ray spectrometers. These instruments detect the energy and frequency of the photons and can provide valuable information about the source and nature of the radiation. Additionally, scientists can also use techniques such as gamma-ray spectroscopy to study the interactions of photons with matter and gain further insights into their properties.