Can Proton and Antiproton Annihilate into Electron, Positron, and Neutrino?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
mateomy
Messages
305
Reaction score
0
I'm asked to state whether or not a proton and an antiproton can annihilate into an electron, a positron, and an electron neutrino.

[tex] p + \overline{p} \rightarrow e + e^+ + \nu_e[/tex]


It doesn't seem allowed to me but I can't fully justify it with any conservation law. I've reasoned that because the electron is a lepton an annihilation of a proton/antiproton pair will not produce such a particle as the former is composed solely of quarks. It seems reasonable to me but which law is broken? I believe its conservation of lepton number. But I can't convince myself for some reason.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The quarks have nothing to do with it. The proton and antiproton annihilate. You've got me convinced it violates lepton number. Write down the lepton number for each particle. Not sure why you are harder to convince.
 


Dick said:
The quarks have nothing to do with it. The proton and antiproton annihilate. You've got me convinced it violates lepton number. Write down the lepton number for each particle. Not sure why you are harder to convince.

Got it. For some reason i was thinking [itex]\nu_e[/itex] had a lepton number of 0.

Thanks.
 
There is an even more fundamental reason that this doesn't happen. Write down the possible spins of the left and right hand sides.