1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton-Antiproton Annihilation

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton and antiproton at rest in an S-state annihilate to produce [tex]\pi[/tex]0[tex]\pi[/tex]0 pairs. Show
    that this reaction cannot be a strong interaction.

2. Relevant equations

I interpret this problem as:

p + p_bar -> [tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0

3. The attempt at a solution

If this were a strong interaction, Parity should be conserved, yes? I think that in the annihilation
    described above, parity is not being conserved.

But really, my first question is, am I interpreting it correctly? Is the annihiliation producing [tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0?
    Or is it producing [tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0? Not sure what they mean by "[tex]\pi[/tex]0[tex]\pi[/tex]0 pairs".

Then my next question is, what is the Parity of p_bar?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    Okay, so I think I've come to the conclusion that the Parity of the antiproton is -1.
    I read that, in general, P(fermion * antifermion) = -1, and since proton's parity is +1, I'm
    going to conclude that parity of the antiproton is -1.

Okay, so total parity on the left hand side of the equation is 0.

But I still don't know if I'm interpreting the problem correctly. Is the annihilation producing:

[tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0 ?

[tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0 ?

[tex]\pi[/tex]0[tex]\pi[/tex]0 ?

[tex]\pi[/tex]0[tex]\pi[/tex]0 + [tex]\pi[/tex]0[tex]\pi[/tex]0 ?

Pardon the ignorance here. I'm taking this Nuclear Physics class despite not meeting some
    of the pre-reqs. I'm a math major that was just interested in the material, so I'm a bit
    behind.

Thanks for any help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook