Can Quartz Crystals Really Store Unlimited Data for an Unlimited Time?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Kalrag
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Crystals Data
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 34K views
Kalrag
Messages
104
Reaction score
0
I have heard that Quartz crystals are able to store data and information in vast amounts. Is this possible and if so does it work?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It would be helpful if you told us where you heard that. The closest thing I have seen is http://hubpages.com/hub/The_Philips-Swarovski_crystal_USB_flash_drive" .
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I believe I heard it off the history channel breifly. (CAN ANYBODY BE SERIOUS AROUND HERE ??)
 
The point in asking you where you heard it is so that we can check it out ourselves. "I heard it on the history channel" is not much better than "I heard to somewhere".
 
Using Quartz to Store Data

I have heard recently off the history channel that Quartz is able to store vast amounts of data within itself. Is this possible? If so how does it work?

Here is a video of the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1UdLjCIbA&feature=related
At about 12:00 Minutes into the video it mentions how quartz can store millions of gigabytes of data.
 


I was just starting fresh and adding more details. Please just answer my question.
 


Kalrag said:
I was just starting fresh and adding more details. Please just answer my question.

There was no need to create a duplicate thread. We asked in the previous one for you to supply references (appropriate to forum rules) relating to what you are asking.

Regardless of which thread you use, this request doesn't change.
 


Kalrag said:
I was just starting fresh and adding more details. Please just answer my question.
You do realize that you linked to a woo-woo video about crop circles, aliens, crystal skulls, etc, don't you? That's not a place to find any accurate information on data-storage.
 


Kalrag said:
I was just starting fresh and adding more details. Please just answer my question.

Multiple posting is against the PF rules. I've merged your two threads.

And it looks like you need to address what turbo-1 found about the link you posted...
 
Well, in the video it was talking about how the crystal skull could be carrying information. They stated that Quartz is able to carry huge amounts of data. So I just asked how that works and any other information.

Hope that clears it up.
 
Its just a couisidence that it ended up in that video.
 
At some point, you need to re-read the PF Rules that you had agreed to. Please pay attention to what we consider to be valid sources. If we open up this forum to discuss every single dubious idea from all source, we would never be able to discuss legitimate issues in physics.

Since I cannot figure out what was said in the original source of your information (I will not waste my time in addressing something out of a crackpot youtube video), then I can only hazard a guess to what could be said (please keep in mind from now on that we REQUIRE proper, full citation of the source to figure out what you heard and if you've heard it correctly). What I think is involved here is the "storage" of some kind of vibrations in such quartz crystal.

However, this is only a pie-in-the-sky idea at the moment, because it is presenting a rather naive idea of what can be done. One only needs to see the whole issue involved in information storage when we tried it with BEC gas. You need to not only be able to store the energy in such vibrations, but you need to be able to store the phase information, so that when we "replay" the signal, it comes out with the correct frequency and the correct phase! This is not trivial, and has not been shown clearly in any kind of "crystal".

So your answer right now is a "NO".

Zz.
 
I watched the original tv show that clip is from and it was anything but scientific.

A lot of people making wild claims with little to no evidence to back it up.

Now can you provide any mainstream published papers or are we discussing an extremely speculative story?
 
So this is the same as all of OPs other "is it possible" threads then.

To answer the question. It's probably possible to store data on crystals.

EDIT:
To be fair to Kalrag, at least this thread had a legitimate question attached to it. Even though the cause of said question was a crackpot TV show.
 
Last edited:
Well PF needs to draw a line somewhere. I can come up with a whole host of "is it possible" questions based on youtube videos.

I don't know about the possibility of it, I have seen nothing to indicate it is though.
 
Alright I believe what the process is called is holographic memory storage. I found an article about it on how-stuff-works.com and it seemed to help a lot.
 
Kalrag said:
Well, in the video it was talking about how the crystal skull could be carrying information. They stated that Quartz is able to carry huge amounts of data. So I just asked how that works and any other information.

Hope that clears it up.
Crystal skulls were promoted as pre-Columbian artifacts, but have been pretty soundly proven to have been frauds, made of quartz from Madagascar or Brazil, and likely carved in Idar-Oberstein - a town of skilled craftsmen working in stone. Even by the late 1800s, these skulls were being tagged as fakes, so a modern-day video touting them as real is pretty ridiculous.
 
turbo-1 said:
Crystal skulls were promoted as pre-Columbian artifacts, but have been pretty soundly proven to have been frauds, made of quartz from Madagascar or Brazil, and likely carved in Idar-Oberstein - a town of skilled craftsmen working in stone. Even by the late 1800s, these skulls were being tagged as fakes, so a modern-day video touting them as real is pretty ridiculous.

True, but the question regarding data storage in a crystal is valid (now we have an understanding on it).

However, I'm not sure if it applies to crystals:
Holographic data storage captures information using an non optical interference pattern within a thick, photosensitive optical material.
(Wiki on Holographic Data Storage)

So you need a material that is photosensitive and I don't believe crystal is, so it won't do the job.

So no, you can't store data in crystals.
 
Last edited:
Not sure about crystals, but I am sure it is possible to store data in glass :devil:

http://www.3bscientific.com/novelties/lasered-glass-blocks,pg_5_1018_680_0.html

The way object inside looks IS an information.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Natural crystals such as quartz are probably not going to be very useful for any holographic storage. I imagine that any such usable storage material will have to be doped with photosensitive additives.
 


Kalrag said:
I have heard recently off the history channel that Quartz is able to store vast amounts of data within itself. Is this possible? If so how does it work?

Here is a video of the show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1UdLjCIbA&feature=related
At about 12:00 Minutes into the video it mentions how quartz can store millions of gigabytes of data.

A quick search with the keywords from that video leads to some guy who both worked on quartz for IBM, and also sold quartz as spiritual items. One of those two jobs is scientific, the other is not. That may be where the confusion comes from.
 
Borek said:
Not sure about crystals, but I am sure it is possible to store data in glass :devil:

http://www.3bscientific.com/novelties/lasered-glass-blocks,pg_5_1018_680_0.html

The way object inside looks IS an information.

Quartz can be laser-cut, but I'm not sure if the details can be as fine as in glass or if there are any technical advantages.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I found this article rather interesting. Didn't understand it all, but I thought it might be applicable here.

http://www.diamond.ac.uk/Home/Beamlines/I19/casestudies/Optical-data-storage.html"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest that before we attempt to store & retrieve data, possibly we should try to store energy in a crystal. Technically that has already been accomplished in devices such as Ruby lasers. Ruby is a crystal, and if the two end-mirrors were not polished to be semi-permeable (so as to let out the light of given intensity), but rather fully reflective towards the inside of the crystal, it may be possible to store and carry that energy for some time. Of course, it would eventually decay as heat, but storing energy in a crystal, in my mind, would be the first step towards data storage in crystals. I completely agree with previous post that polarization and phase are essential for data fidelity.
 
Illiac IV had thin film memory which was etched on glass and read out by laser.