1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Can/Should I take graduate physics course if I'm a Aeronautic Engineer.

  1. Aug 3, 2007 #1
    I am about to graduate as a mechanical engineer this coming August. I wish to further my study in physics. I wonder is it possible to change field since what I am about to obtain is a bachelor degree in engineering?

    I am really interested in physics but back then I had no choice. I do not want to regret in the future so I decided to make my own choice now.

    My interest lie at the intersection of cosmology, high energy physics and astrophysics. I am interested in dark matter, black hole and especially TOE.

    I am troubled. I did not took a formal taught course in physics or cosmology except some self studies.I always think that passion is enough when dealing with things like these (studies). Is it?

    Well, so far I have tried to consult many professors from various university but only one of them reply me. I wonder why? Anyone can help me with this?

  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2007 #2
    Professors get a lot of e-mails from people they don't know. It's not unreasonable to expect them to respond only to those student enquiries which seem to come from promising candidates.

    With a background in mechanical engineering it will be extremely difficult to persuade someone to take you on as a physics graduate student. There is not a lot of overlap between upper-year mechanical engineering coursework and upper-level physics coursework. Perhaps you could consider taking a year or two of upper-level physics after you earn your engineering degree.
  4. Aug 3, 2007 #3
    First of all, thank you for replying me.

    hmmm...ya, I agree. I can't expect them to reply to all e-mails. But...well, never mind.

    I plan to take GRE test. I wonder if an excellent result in GRE-Physics test is persuasive enough?

    If you were me, would you choose your interest or stick with engineering? Well, I know engineering uses just as much physics but it's not the field I'm fond of. But I do enjoy inventing new things. You can say that engineering is my second interest.

    I did consider the possibility of continue taking eng. and take physics as a part time hobby. But I really don't think I have enough time to do that especially if I want to be sucessful in that area. You know what i mean?

    Actually I have made up my mind (85%) to take physics but sometimes the remaining 15% still troubling me. sigh.....
  5. Aug 3, 2007 #4
    if you keep it as a hobby,i think you will never loss.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook