Can/Should I take graduate physics course if I'm a Aeronautic Engineer.

• Courses
  • Thread starter sigmatjj84
  • Start date
I am about to graduate as a mechanical engineer this coming August. I wish to further my study in physics. I wonder is it possible to change field since what I am about to obtain is a bachelor degree in engineering?

I am really interested in physics but back then I had no choice. I do not want to regret in the future so I decided to make my own choice now.

My interest lie at the intersection of cosmology, high energy physics and astrophysics. I am interested in dark matter, black hole and especially TOE.

I am troubled. I did not took a formal taught course in physics or cosmology except some self studies.I always think that passion is enough when dealing with things like these (studies). Is it?

Well, so far I have tried to consult many professors from various university but only one of them reply me. I wonder why? Anyone can help me with this?

Thanks

Answers and Replies

Professors get a lot of e-mails from people they don't know. It's not unreasonable to expect them to respond only to those student enquiries which seem to come from promising candidates.

With a background in mechanical engineering it will be extremely difficult to persuade someone to take you on as a physics graduate student. There is not a lot of overlap between upper-year mechanical engineering coursework and upper-level physics coursework. Perhaps you could consider taking a year or two of upper-level physics after you earn your engineering degree.

First of all, thank you for replying me.

hmmm...ya, I agree. I can't expect them to reply to all e-mails. But...well, never mind.

I plan to take GRE test. I wonder if an excellent result in GRE-Physics test is persuasive enough?

If you were me, would you choose your interest or stick with engineering? Well, I know engineering uses just as much physics but it's not the field I'm fond of. But I do enjoy inventing new things. You can say that engineering is my second interest.

I did consider the possibility of continue taking eng. and take physics as a part time hobby. But I really don't think I have enough time to do that especially if I want to be sucessful in that area. You know what i mean?

Actually I have made up my mind (85%) to take physics but sometimes the remaining 15% still troubling me. sigh.....

if you keep it as a hobby,i think you will never loss.