Can sitting on your butt too much flatten it?

1. I think I have a pretty nice butt, but I also sit a lot. I don't want to flatten my butt. Is there any reason to worry?

2. jcsd
  3. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,362
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. SteamKing

SteamKing 8,279
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Haven't you seen all those flat-butted people walking around? That's where it comes from!

If you sleep on one side all the time, that side may become flatter, too.

5. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,362
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Certainly casual observation would back up the claim.

The trick is to support these claims with peer-reviewed research.
    A quick look shows me that researchers seem to emphasis=ze flattening of the lumbar region and scoliosis than flattened buttocks.

i.e. Corlett E. N. (2006) Background to sitting at work: research-based requirements for the design of work seats [Ergonomics; Volume 49, Issue 14, 2006]

Dunstan D. W. (2012) Too much sitting – A health hazard [Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice; Volume 97, Issue 3, September 2012, Pages 368–376]

While it seems the short answer is "yes" there is a risk of flattened buttocks from lots of sit-down time, it is not the principle concern ... basically nobody has anything nice to say about sitting for long periods of time.

You'll find lots of advise about when to get up or what kind of seat is best.
    Some extremists say not to sit to work at all. AFAIK none of these ideas are evidence-based but it is common sense to get off your butt to save it.

6. AlephZero

AlephZero 7,298
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From one of Simon Bridge's references:
    :biggrin:

7. Simon Bridge

Simon Bridge 14,362
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps it should just be considered a solitary ergonomically sub-optimal postured component?

8. Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

No there isn't and this isn't a medical topic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook