Can Social Media Be Used to Help Prevent/Solve Crimes?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I love Sundays. *I sleep in, listen to NPR’s Weekend Edition while making breakfast and catch up on my Facebook news feed from the weekend exploits of my friends. *Pretty relaxing, that is until Liane began a story about a burglar who stole someone’s computer and then posted a picture of himself on the victim’s [...]http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=339&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

More...

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
I think we're way past the question: social media is used to help prevent/solve crimes. But an interesting discussion can be had about how it is used....

We had a rash of flash mobs in Philly a couple of years ago and use of social media was a big part of stopping them:
Philadelphia officials added that they had also begun getting help from the Federal Bureau of Investigation to monitor social-media networks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/us/25mobs.html?_r=1

Last edited:
OmCheeto
Gold Member
I've been robbed 5 times in the last 6 months.

The last time they robbed me, they tried(or implied intent) to burn my house down.

I filed police reports each time. The (lame) attempt at arson report generated the following response:

Attempted arson must have an officer dispatched. Sorry for the inconvenience.

poop.

I was late for work already when I made the report......

We had a rash of flash mobs in Philly a couple of years ago and use of social media was a big part of stopping them
As one who lives where there is no legally enshrined freedom of association and assembly, I find that attitude perplexing.

russ_watters
Mentor
I don't understand what you mean. Could you please explain further.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
I don't understand what you mean. Could you please explain further.
Well, the perps only show up once a month, so I was wondering if any of my unemployed facebook friends could sit in my house all day and wait for them to show up. I'll provide $5 a day, and all the beer and food they can drink and eat. But they must be capable of dialing 911 when the back porch starts smoking.

And no, they cannot hang out until they find another job when the job is done. I had a roommate once, no ones going to fool me again....

Well, the perps only show up once a month, so I was wondering if any of my unemployed facebook friends could sit in my house all day and wait for them to show up. I'll provide $5 a day, and all the beer and food they can drink and eat. But they must be capable of dialing 911 when the back porch starts smoking.

And no, they cannot hang out until they find another job when the job is done. I had a roommate once, no ones going to fool me again....
I think a big dog might cost less than your friends.

In the spirit of the thread, I do have an idea for a way to use social media to help with your problem. If your house is empty and motionless - install a webcam (that you can also monitor) and find a way to rig a motion detector - to activate a device capable of sending a preset post on the social site of your choice - maybe the phone number of the local police? It could be something very basic - such as an electric tool poised over the enter key (maybe a corded drill with a piece of rubber attached to the bit when turned on the rubber presses the key) - of course the message would need to be typed out and ready to send.