Can some bright spark help me? Colour of Light vs Time

In summary: Yes, but that would be just as unscientific as ignoring the gravity. Not bad as gobbledygook, but I just want to be clear to the OP that it's not science.
AlanMC
I'm writing a Science Fiction story which has one place where time runs at normal speed, and another place next to it, where time runs at a much slower speed. If you stand in the normal place and look into the slow place, you will see people moving around as if in slow motion.

But what would happen to light?
Would photons in the slow zone actually slow down?
When photons leave the slow time zone and enter the normal time zone, would the wavelength of the light expand? Would it then seem that things inside the slow zone are reddish, as if looking through a red filter? Or would it seem normal?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't care about the laws of physics then you can make up whatever answer you like. If you do care about the laws of physics then the only way your scenario can work is if the "slow" place is something like a neutron star with a humongous gravitational field. In this case, the inhabitants would have to be pretty unbelievable creatures to exist in a gravity field large enough to exhibit the characteristics you describe. They most certainly could not be anything like humans. If that's how you want to set it up, the light from the "slow" place would be severely red-shifted. That is, it would arrive at the "fast" place traveling at c, as light always does, but its frequency would be shifted.

EDIT: Also, the two places would have to be quite a distance apart, so "right next to each other" would have to be on a cosmological scale, not a human scale. And if you ignore that or ignore the gravity part and just say that the light would be red-shifted, then you would still be ignoring the laws of physics and writing non-science.

Thank you. That's a great help. I've been trying to figure this out for days, and I thought the light would shift. The huge gravitational field is another issue, which I didn't consider.

AlanMC said:
Thank you. That's a great help. I've been trying to figure this out for days, and I thought the light would shift. The huge gravitational field is another issue, which I didn't consider.
Your post crossed w/ my EDIT, so read my post addendum.

That's certainly more to consider. For the scenario to work in the way I described it does seem impossible. Perhaps it's a case of writing it as a fantasy rather than a science fiction story. I do appreciate your response. Thanks again.

AlanMC said:
Perhaps it's a case of writing it as a fantasy rather than a science fiction story.
Why limit yourself? I could easily imagine a superconductive graviton dome which could act to dilate time within it without the "heavy" side effects... causing a singularity or whatnot.

I've certainly asked my question in the right place.

jerromyjon said:
Why limit yourself? I could easily imagine a superconductive graviton dome which could act to dilate time within it without the "heavy" side effects... causing a singularity or whatnot.
Yes, but that would be just as unscientific as ignoring the gravity. Not bad as gobbledygook, but I just want to be clear to the OP that it's not science.

Is it imperative to your story that one location ACTUALLY be slower? Laws of physics won't allow for that as we understand them right now, but if a species evolved in a very very cold world, energy would be a premium and creatures would simply move very very slowly. A biology based on liquid nitrogen as opposed to water would be frustrating to communicate with, simply saying "hello" might take hours.

1. What is the relationship between color of light and time?

The color of light and time have a complex relationship as light can change color over time due to factors such as temperature, distance, and the medium it passes through. Additionally, the perception of color can also change over time due to physiological and psychological factors.

2. How does the color of light affect our daily lives?

The color of light can have a significant impact on our daily lives as it can affect our mood, behavior, and even our sleep patterns. For example, blue light from electronic devices can disrupt our circadian rhythm and make it difficult to fall asleep.

3. Can the color of light be measured over time?

Yes, the color of light can be measured over time using a device called a spectrophotometer. This device measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths, allowing for the calculation of color over time.

4. How does the color of light change during sunrise and sunset?

The color of light changes during sunrise and sunset due to the scattering of light by the Earth's atmosphere. When the sun is lower on the horizon, the light has to travel through more atmosphere, causing the shorter blue wavelengths to scatter more, resulting in the warm colors we see during sunrise and sunset.

5. Can the color of light affect plant growth?

Yes, the color of light can affect plant growth as different wavelengths of light are absorbed by plants to perform photosynthesis. For example, blue light is essential for vegetative growth, while red light promotes flowering and fruiting. Controlling the color of light provided to plants can optimize their growth and yield.