Can someone check my Fischer Projections?

In summary, a Fischer Projection is a two-dimensional representation of a three-dimensional molecule, commonly used for organic molecules. To draw one, the longest carbon chain is placed vertically with the most oxidized carbon at the top, and horizontal bonds represent substituents. Fischer Projections can be converted to other representations and stereochemistry can be determined by looking at the position of bonds and substituents. It is recommended to have someone check for accuracy.
JessG

Homework Statement

1. R, 2-Bromo-2-Chlorobutane
2. S, NH2-CH-C2H5
...|
.....OH
......O
......||
3. R,R and R,S of CHDCl-C-CHDNH2

Homework Equations

...knowledge of fischer projections? I can post the video-tutorial i attempted to follow, if needed.

The Attempt at a Solution

...CH3
..Cl--+--Br
...CH2CH3
...H
..OH-+-NH2
...CH2CH3
3. R,R
...H
NH2-+--D
...|=O
...D-+-Cl
...H
R,S
...H
NH2-+--D
...|=O
...Cl-+-D
...H

Physics news on Phys.org
I can draw them up on paint too.. if that's easier to decipher.

1. What is a Fischer Projection?

A Fischer Projection is a way of representing a three-dimensional molecule in a two-dimensional format. It is commonly used to depict organic molecules, specifically carbohydrates and amino acids.

2. How do I draw a Fischer Projection?

To draw a Fischer Projection, the longest carbon chain in the molecule is placed vertically, with the carbon at the top being the most oxidized (containing the most oxygen atoms). The horizontal bonds represent the substituents on each carbon, with dashed lines representing bonds that are going into the page and wedged lines representing bonds that are coming out of the page.

3. Can I convert a Fischer Projection to a different representation?

Yes, Fischer Projections can be converted to other representations such as sawhorse or Newman projections. This is done by rotating the molecule along the vertical axis, so the substituents are in different positions.

4. How do I determine the stereochemistry of a Fischer Projection?

The stereochemistry of a Fischer Projection can be determined by looking at the horizontal bonds. If they are on the same side, it is a cis configuration, and if they are on opposite sides, it is a trans configuration. The stereochemistry can also be determined by looking at the position of the substituents on the vertical carbon chain.

5. Can someone check my Fischer Projection for accuracy?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have someone else check your Fischer Projection for accuracy. They can ensure that the molecule is drawn correctly and the stereochemistry is labeled correctly.