Ionization vs. Dissociation for acids & bases

In summary: For example, lets say you have a salt like NaCl. The molecules of NaCl are ionic, which means they are composed of atoms that are joined by ionic bonds. However, if you dissolve NaCl in water, the ions will start to break apart. This is what happens when dissociation takes place. On the other hand, if you add water to a salt like Na2CO3, the CO32- ions will start to dissolve, because ionization has taken place.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

Hi everyone. I'm a relatively new high school chemistry teacher. I'm teaching modified arrhenius theory to my students, and I'm unclear on ionization vs. dissociation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my understanding:

- Dissociation occurs when an ionic compound breaks down. Example: NaCl --> Na+ + Cl-

- Ionization occurs when a compound reacts with water to gains or lose a hydrogen ion. Example: HCl + H2O --> Cl- + H3O+

I found something in the textbook that says acids always ionize, but bases always dissociate.

However, wouldn't NH3 (a base) ionize in the following situation? NH3 + H2O --> NH4+ + OH-

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any given definitions of what ionization is and what dissociation is?

Likes 256bits
According to the textbook:

Dissociate: to break apart to form separate ions (as when ionic substances such as NaOH break apart). This process is not called ionization because the substances are already made of ions.

Ionize: the process in which a molecular substance, often an acid, dissolves in water and separates into ions.

So my understanding would be that NaOH dissociates but NH3 ionizes, even though they are both bases.

However this is also confusing because my students would probably think that H2SO4 is an ionic compound. Therefore, it dissociates, but the textbook claims that all acids ionize.

Likes 256bits
Sigh, I have a feeling these definitions ask for confusion. No wonder you have problems.

I would say ammonia neither dissociates nor ionizes. It reacts with water producing ions, but it is even another process than the two mentioned.

Likes 256bits
You could think of it like the language is not that of tables issued by an official Standards Bureau, the language is just English. In normal writing you might naturally vary words a bit just to avoid too much repetition.

Dissociation is a more general term than ionisation - it is just breaking apart as your definition says, but that doesn't have to be into ions, it can also be into neutral molecules or into free radicals. (The reverse reaction is 'association' which you might sometimes call 'reassociation'.)

It would be natural to me to say ammonia 'is protonated' to form NH4+ (to an extent that varies with pH).. A protonated molecule can 'deprotonate'.

I thin it is good to quite often use the word 'transfer'. An Arrhenius acid transfers a proton to a base, rather than 'loses' it, though you will inevitably often say it loses it, because you are talking English not always Chemspeak. Good work and don't worry. :oldsmile:

Likes 256bits
As far as my understanding goes, dissociation takes place when ions are already present in the molecule, i.e. there is an ionic or electrovalent bond. So when it reacts with water, it just breaks down, which is the literal meaning of dissociate. In ionization on the other hand, new ions are being formed, so that indicates a presence of a covalent bond. NH4OH is an exception since it contains both ionic and covalent bonds, but as a general rule, acids contain ionic bonds whereas bases contain covalent bonds. Thus, acids ionize and bases dissociate. In covalent compounds also, there is a distinction: polar and non polar. Polar compounds also have an ionic character, so they also dissociate.

Last edited:
Likes tech99
Trying to apply rigid logic to poorly defined concepts never works. I am not aware of any precise distinction between dissociation and ionization (which is exactly what @epenguin referred to above) - they are rather broad concepts that try to classify processes into categories. Trick is, these processes occupy continuum, so putting them in different drawers is artificial and will always produce problems.

Likes BillTre and 256bits

1. What is the difference between ionization and dissociation for acids and bases?

Ionization and dissociation both involve the separation of ions from a molecule, but the main difference is in the starting state of the molecule. Ionization occurs when a neutral molecule gains or loses an electron to form an ion. On the other hand, dissociation occurs when a molecule breaks apart into smaller ions without any change in its electronic structure.

2. How does the strength of an acid or base affect its ionization and dissociation?

The strength of an acid or base is directly related to its ability to ionize or dissociate. Strong acids and bases have a high tendency to ionize or dissociate completely in water, while weak acids and bases only partially ionize or dissociate. This is due to the difference in the stability of the resulting ions.

3. Can ionization and dissociation occur simultaneously in a solution?

Yes, ionization and dissociation can occur simultaneously in a solution. For example, in a solution of hydrochloric acid, some molecules will ionize to form H+ and Cl- ions, while others will dissociate into HCl molecules and H+ and Cl- ions. This is because ionization and dissociation are dynamic processes, and the equilibrium between the two depends on the strength of the acid or base and the concentration of the solution.

4. How are ionization and dissociation related to the pH scale?

The pH scale is a measure of the concentration of H+ ions in a solution. In the case of acids, the concentration of H+ ions is directly related to the degree of ionization or dissociation. Strong acids will have a lower pH, indicating a higher concentration of H+ ions from complete ionization or dissociation. Weak acids will have a higher pH due to partial ionization or dissociation and a lower concentration of H+ ions.

5. How do temperature and pressure affect ionization and dissociation of acids and bases?

Temperature and pressure can affect the degree of ionization and dissociation of acids and bases. Generally, increasing temperature and decreasing pressure can favor the formation of ions, leading to a higher degree of ionization or dissociation. This is due to the increased energy and space available for molecules to break apart. However, this can vary depending on the specific acid or base and the conditions of the solution.