1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone check my precision for a meter stick, vernier cailper, and micro

1. Sep 21, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Can someone check my precision for a meter stick, vernier cailper, and micro

Meterstick
    Precision: 1 mm
    Example: 607 mm

Vernier Caliper
    Precision: .1 mm
    Example: 41.5 mm

Micrometer
    Precision : .01 mm
    Example: .05 mm

what I'm asking basically is, is the precision I obtained doing trials accurate? I gave an example of the data I collected using the instruments and was wondering if they follow the precision values I got ... if correct.

I appreciate any help immensely.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you are most anywhere outside the US (i.e., using metric tools), those values (1mm, 0.1mm and 0.01mm) are indeed the most common least counts of the meter stick, Vernier calipers and micrometer gauge. And these values do not contradict any of the numbers you got during your trials.

4. Sep 21, 2007 #3

Ah.. thank you very much for your time. I just needed a little assurance making sure the values had proper precision and significant figures following the instrument.

Thanks again

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?