Can someone check my precision for a meter stick, vernier cailper, and micro

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 13K views
twotaileddemon
Messages
258
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Can someone check my precision for a meter stick, vernier cailper, and micro

Meterstick
Precision: 1 mm
Example: 607 mm

Vernier Caliper
Precision: .1 mm
Example: 41.5 mm

Micrometer
Precision : .01 mm
Example: .05 mm

what I'm asking basically is, is the precision I obtained doing trials accurate? I gave an example of the data I collected using the instruments and was wondering if they follow the precision values I got ... if correct.

I appreciate any help immensely.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are most anywhere outside the US (i.e., using metric tools), those values (1mm, 0.1mm and 0.01mm) are indeed the most common least counts of the meter stick, Vernier calipers and micrometer gauge. And these values do not contradict any of the numbers you got during your trials.
 
Gokul43201 said:
If you are most anywhere outside the US (i.e., using metric tools), those values (1mm, 0.1mm and 0.01mm) are indeed the most common least counts of the meter stick, Vernier calipers and micrometer gauge. And these values do not contradict any of the numbers you got during your trials.


Ah.. thank you very much for your time. I just needed a little assurance making sure the values had proper precision and significant figures following the instrument.

Thanks again