Can someone check my work? Neutralization reaction.

In summary, the equation 2 H3PO4 + 3 Ba(OH)2 ---> Ba3(PO4)2 + 6H2O shows that 2 moles of H3PO4 will neutralize 3 moles of Ba(OH)2. To find the volume of 0.2M H3PO4 needed to neutralize 100 mL of 0.6M Ba(OH)2, the equation (6N * 0.2M) * x = (6N * 0.6M) * 100mL is used. Solving for x, we get 300 mL. However, the textbook answer of 200 mL is correct as it takes
LakeMountD

Homework Statement

2 H3PO4 + 3 Ba(OH)2 ---> Ba3(PO4)2 + 6H2O

What volume of 0.2M H3PO4 will be required to completely neutralize 100 mL of 0.6M Ba(OH)2.

What I did was used normality and said that there are 2*3 = 6N H+ ions and 3*2 = 6N OH ions. Therefore, I multiplied the normals by molarity and got:

(6N * 0.2M) * x = (6N * 0.6M) * 100mL
1.2M * x = 3.6M * 100mL
x = (3.6M * 100mL) / 1.2M = 300 mL

Book says 200mL but there are A LOT of errors in this book and I don't think they accounted for the extra protons.

The main thing I am wondering here is why the book doesn't account for the fact that there are 3 protons for every 2 hydroxyls and since they are at a 3:2 ratio, they are are in even quantities. 3 moles of H+ * 2 moles of compound and 2 moles of OH- and 3 moles of compound.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the equation:
2 mols of H3PO4 will neutralize 3 mols of Ba(OH)2

0.2(? many ml of H3PO4) will neutralize 0.6(100) ml of Ba(OH)2...

The textbook answer is correct. You do not want to find the moles of protons per hydroxyl, but the moles of H3PO4 for the given moles of base.

1. Can someone check my work for a neutralization reaction?

Yes, it is always a good idea to have someone else check your work to ensure accuracy and avoid mistakes.

2. How do I know if my neutralization reaction is balanced?

To check if a reaction is balanced, you need to make sure that the number of each type of atom is the same on both sides of the equation. If they are not equal, adjust the coefficients until they are balanced.

3. Can I use any acid and base for a neutralization reaction?

Yes, any acid and base can be used for a neutralization reaction as long as they are of equal strength and are fully dissociated in solution.

4. What is the purpose of a neutralization reaction?

The purpose of a neutralization reaction is to neutralize an acid or base and form a salt and water. This reaction is commonly used in everyday life, such as in antacid tablets to neutralize stomach acid.

5. How can I calculate the amount of product formed in a neutralization reaction?

To calculate the amount of product formed in a neutralization reaction, you need to use the mole ratio between the acid and base in the balanced equation. Then, use the given amount of one reactant to determine the amount of the other reactant needed and the amount of product formed.