Can someone explain why the exponents behave like this

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about exponent properties and the use of n in an algebraic equation. The speaker shares their attempted solution and asks for clarification. Another user explains the use of the distributive property to simplify the equation.
treehau5
Hello,

I can't seem to wrap my mind around this. I understand exponent properties, but for some reason when you throw that n in there it rocks my world.

I was solving an induction problem, and a piece of the algebra that I sort of guessed at was this:
(3n-3n-1)

Which after factoring becomes
3n-1(3-1)

I do not understand how the exponential division is working here with the n. Can someone please explain?

I tried testing it out a different way by just writing 3n/3n-1 which equals 3, but this somehow confused me more.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
treehau5 said:
Hello,

I can't seem to wrap my mind around this. I understand exponent properties, but for some reason when you throw that n in there it rocks my world.

I was solving an induction problem, and a piece of the algebra that I sort of guessed at was this:
(3n-3n-1)

Which after factoring becomes
3n-1(3-1)

I do not understand how the exponential division is working here with the n. Can someone please explain?

I tried testing it out a different way by just writing 3n/3n-1 which equals 3, but this somehow confused me more.

If you understand [itex]\,xy-x=x(y-1)\,[/itex], which is a simple application of the distributivity axiom (in some

field), then putting [itex]\,x=3^{n-1}\,\,,\,y=3\,[/itex] , we get:
[tex]3^n-3^{n-1}=3^{n-1}\cdot 3 -3^{n-1}=3^{n-1} (3-1)=2\cdot 3^{n-1}[/tex]
Tadaaah!

DonAntonio

1. Why do we use exponents in math?

Exponents are used to represent repeated multiplication in a compact form. They make it easier to express and calculate very large or very small numbers.

2. How do exponents behave when multiplied?

When two numbers with exponents are multiplied, the exponents are added together. For example, 23 x 25 = 28.

3. What happens when exponents are divided?

When two numbers with exponents are divided, the exponents are subtracted. For example, 25 ÷ 23 = 22.

4. Why do we have negative exponents?

Negative exponents represent the reciprocal of a number raised to a positive exponent. For example, 2-3 is the same as 1 ÷ 23.

5. Can exponents be raised to other exponents?

Yes, exponents can be raised to other exponents. When this happens, the exponents are multiplied together. For example, (23)2 = 26.