Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Similar to Collatz Problem (Please Read)

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    Of course everyone seem to be very knowledgeable still i would like to show them
    Collatz conjecture
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collatz_conjecture

its a function =
    3n+1 if n odd
    n/2 if n even
    right
    it always ends in 1
    What ever you start from

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    MY QUESTION is
    Have any one found out a function like collatz problem which always ends up in 2 or 3 or 4 instead of one
    i am talking about three different Functions

I think i discovered all three of them and some associated properties
    but i am not sure that i am the first person or not
    So i am asking for help here to know that did any one else already did it or not

If you did not understand my question post here and i will try to make you understand

PS i am a student

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2012 #2
    Since you discovered them ,please post there and announce to the world this great discovery

4. Mar 9, 2012 #3
    But i dont know that i am the first one to discover them or someone else has already done them ?
    How do i know that ?

And where do you want me to post ?

Please Help

Who do i contact to get credit of this discovery ?

I am from INDIA

5. Mar 9, 2012 #4
    Search google for similar equations to Collatz. You can either post right here or write a paper and send it to a math journal if you think your results are original. If you post here, you can always sign the post with your real name.

6. Mar 9, 2012 #5
    yes post here... and may be put your real name to it...

7. Mar 9, 2012 #6
    I searched in Google , Wolfram , and Many Online Mathematical Resources
    I did not found any thing like them and

and about posting , i am worried about security and someone else taking credit ,
    So i wanted to first be sure about this thing
    and it is not a Private forum its posts could be scene even if you dont register here

What is signing a post ? i dont know about it !

and suggest the name of a journal to which i can send it
    i live in INDIA

Thanks for your reply

About Posting Is there any where i can post so that Only issacnewton and epsi00 can see and discuss but you guys have to promise not to make that public

8. Mar 9, 2012 #7
    If you google "mathematical journals", I am sure google will oblige and return 1000's of entries for you to look at and decide which journal is the lucky one you will be sending your groundbreaking research to.

And no, this being a public forum, you can't prevent people from reading your posts. If you want privacy, you only have two options:
    1- don't post in a forum
    2- send people a write up of your research in a private message ( please don't send me your research, I have been known to steal people's research in the past )

Lastly, signing your name is just that, adding your real name at the end of your past, not your pseudo.
    I like to call myself John Smith so here's a simple way for me to sign this post

John Smith

9. Mar 11, 2012 #8
    The reason it was suggested to place the paper here with your signature, is it is time stamped and with signature.
    It then is proof if new that you did it and when.
    with out seeing what you ae saying, it is hard to say if it has been done before. I suspect it has.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook