Weight capacity of 12' hopper on 2" square tubing with 3" angle iron support

  • Thread starter Thread starter alaskaoil
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Structural
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
alaskaoil
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
My engineer is out of contact and I need to verify what my contractor is telling me.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT AS THIS IS HOLDING UP A MAJOR JOB.

I have a hopper 8” x 4” (l x w) that is supported by 2” square tubing (3/8” thick).

The structure looks like an oil derek and is 12’ high with cross beams at the top and bottom.

The hopper will be placed on 3” angle iron (.25” thick).

How much weight will this structure be able to hold in the hopper?

Thanks any help would be great.

Let me know if I’m not clear on anything – my head is spinning.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You would, at least, have to supply a drawing of the geometry as well as how the structure is welded and secured.