Can someone help prove my hunch?

• Thread starter Archosaur
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum product of a series of finite elements when the sum of the elements is a constant. It is suggested that the maximum product occurs when all elements are equal. However, further proof is needed to determine if this is a global maximum and if negative elements are allowed.
Archosaur
I have this feeling that
if the sum of the finite series a+b+c+d...+z= some constant C
then the product a*b*c*d...*z has a maximum when a=b=c=d...=z

For example, if C=20, and you just use a,b,c,and d then...
6*6*6*2=432
3*8*8*1=192
5*5*5*5=625 (Maximum)

Can someone prove / disprove this?

Physics news on Phys.org
No doubt this is a fairly standard optimization problem, but taking this as an opportunity to think about it before rushing to a reference, you can perhaps look at just two elements and start with them being equal, that is

a + a = C,
a * a = P

and then add an amount da > 0 to the first element and subtract it from the other

(a + da) + (a - da) = a + a = C
(a + da) * (a - da) = a2 - da2 < P

So for two elements, having the same value is obviously a (local) maximum for the product and you only need to prove it is global and extend to multiple elements.

Filip Larsen said:
(a + da) * (a - da) = a2 - da2 < P

Thanks, this is totally clear to me now. I started doing something like this, but... well... I don't know if it's 4:00 am where you are, but it is, here. Haha, thanks.

Note, that if the elements are allowed to be negative (which I presume they are not in your case) it is easy to see that the product can be made arbitrary large for the same sum. For instance, if we take a + b + b = C with an arbitrary a > C this implies that b = (C-a)/2 < 0 and the product P = a*b*b must go to infinity as a goes to infinity. Disallowing negative elements ties into proving that the solution for the maximum product is a global maximum.

1. How do I prove my hunch?

Proving a hunch can be a challenging task, but there are a few steps you can take to help support your theory. First, gather evidence and data that relates to your hunch. Next, analyze the information and look for patterns or connections that support your hunch. Finally, conduct experiments or further research to test your hunch and see if it holds up.

2. What if I don't have any evidence to support my hunch?

If you don't have any evidence to support your hunch, it may be difficult to prove. However, you can still try to gather more information or conduct experiments to see if your hunch is correct. It's also important to keep an open mind and consider alternative explanations.

3. How can I get help proving my hunch?

If you need help proving your hunch, you can reach out to other scientists or researchers in your field. They may be able to offer insights or suggestions on how to test and support your hunch. You can also collaborate with others to conduct experiments or gather data together.

4. Is it possible to prove a hunch without scientific evidence?

In most cases, it is not possible to prove a hunch without scientific evidence. The scientific method relies on evidence and data to support theories and make conclusions. However, there may be some cases where a hunch is later proven to be correct through further research and evidence.

5. What should I do if my hunch is proven wrong?

If your hunch is proven wrong, don't be discouraged. This is all part of the scientific process and can lead to new discoveries and understanding. It's important to continue to gather data and evidence, and to revise or form new theories based on the new information.