Can someone please check this radiochemistry question please

• Thread starter shenzys
  • Start date
In summary, the half life of sodium pertechnate is 6.02 hours based on the given measurements and using the equations ln A = ln A0 -lamda*t and half life = ln2/lamda.

Homework Statement

A sample of sodium pertechnetate injection was found to have an activity of 51439 counts per minute (cpm). The sample was measured again exactly after 8 hours and found to have an activity of 20476 cpm. Calculate the half life of sodium pertechnatate.

Homework Equations

A = A0 e^-lamdat
ln A = in A0 - lamdat
half life = ln2/lamda

The Attempt at a Solution

ln 20476 = ln 51439 -lamda * 8
9.927008748 = 10.84815192 - lamda * 8
0.9150875487/8 = -lamda
lamda = 0.1143859436

half life = 6.06 hours

Is this correct? I think I did the algebra a bit wrong but the answer of 6 hours sounds about right... can anyone help please...thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I went wrong... I now get the answer of 6.02 hours...

Your calculations and answer appear to be correct. It is always a good idea to double check your algebra when solving equations, but your answer of 6 hours for the half life of sodium pertechnetate seems to be accurate based on the given information. It is also important to note that the half life of a radioactive substance can vary slightly depending on the conditions and environment in which it is measured. Therefore, it is always best to confirm your results with multiple measurements. Keep up the good work!

1. How do I know if my radiochemistry question is correct?

The best way to check the accuracy of your radiochemistry question is to consult with another expert in the field or do further research to verify your findings. It is always helpful to have a second opinion when dealing with complex scientific concepts.

2. What resources can I use to check my radiochemistry question?

There are a variety of resources available for checking radiochemistry questions, including online databases, textbooks, and peer-reviewed articles. It is important to use reliable and reputable sources to ensure the accuracy of your question.

3. Can I use mathematical equations in my radiochemistry question?

Yes, mathematical equations are often used in radiochemistry questions to calculate various parameters such as reaction rates and half-lives. However, it is important to ensure that the equations used are appropriate for the specific context of your question.

4. How can I check for errors in my radiochemistry question?

One way to check for errors in your radiochemistry question is to double-check your calculations and ensure that all the units are consistent. It is also helpful to have someone else review your question for any potential errors or mistakes.

5. Is there a specific format for writing a radiochemistry question?

While there is no set format for writing a radiochemistry question, it is important to clearly state the problem or scenario, provide all necessary information, and show your calculations or reasoning. It is also helpful to use proper scientific notation and units in your question.

Suggested for: Can someone please check this radiochemistry question please

Back