A question related to radioactivity.

In summary, the conversation discusses a cobalt-60 source with a half-life of 5.27 years that has been calibrated and found to have an activity of 3.50 × 105 Bq with an uncertainty of ±2%. The question asks for the length of time, in days, after the calibration for the stated activity to have a maximum possible error of 10%. The solution involves using the equation A= A0 exp(–ln2 t / T½) and solving for t, which represents the time that the source must decay by 8% to have a maximum possible error of 10%. The final answer is 230 days.
DarkStalker
1. A cobalt-60 source having a half-life of 5.27 years is calibrated and found to have an
activity of 3.50 × 105 Bq. The uncertainty in the calibration is ±2%.
Calculate the length of time, in days, after the calibration has been made, for the stated
activity of 3.50 × 105 Bq to have a maximum possible error of 10%.

A= -лN, where A= Activity, л=Decay Constant and N=Original number of nuclides.

n=Ne^(-лt), where n=number of undecayed nuclides, N= original number of nuclides, л=decay constant and t=time.

3. The Attempt at a Solution : None

I am utterly stumped at this one. Truthfully I didn't even understand the question properly. I can't make a connection between this uncertainty and decay. I have the solution but that didn't help me much. Here it is:

source must decay by 8%
A = A0 exp(–ln2 t / T½) or A/ A0 = 1 / (2t/T)
0.92 = exp(–ln2 × t / 5.27) or 0.92 = 1 / (2t/5.27)
t = 0.634 years
= 230 days
(allow 2 marks for A/ A0 = 0.08, answer 7010 days
allow 1 mark for A/ A0 = 0.12, answer 5880 days)

Could someone please explain to me what exactly the question asks for, and how the quantities are related? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
CIE a level physics paper 4. the question was made to be unanswered i guess.

1. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus releases energy in the form of radiation. This can occur naturally in certain elements or can be induced through nuclear reactions.

2. How is radioactivity measured?

Radiation is measured using a unit called the becquerel (Bq), which represents one decay per second. It can also be measured in terms of the amount of energy it releases, which is expressed in the unit gray (Gy).

3. What are the different types of radioactive decay?

There are three main types of radioactive decay: alpha, beta, and gamma. Alpha decay involves the release of a helium nucleus, beta decay involves the release of an electron or positron, and gamma decay involves the release of high energy photons.

4. How does radioactivity affect living organisms?

Exposure to high levels of radiation can be harmful to living organisms, as it can damage cells and DNA. This can lead to health issues such as cancer. However, low levels of radiation are constantly present in our environment and can even be beneficial in small doses.

5. What are some practical uses of radioactivity?

Radioactivity has many practical uses, including in medicine for imaging and cancer treatment, in agriculture for pest control and food preservation, and in energy production through nuclear power plants. It is also used in scientific research and dating techniques.