Calculating ln in radioactive decay

So the half-life is given byt_{1/2} = \frac{\ln 2}{\lambda}.To calculate 1n, just use the natural logarithm function on your calculator and plug in the values for t and N. In this case, t = 10 minutes and N = 82 counts. So\begin{align}1n &= \ln \frac{82}{82} \\&= 0.\end{align}In summary, to calculate the half-life of a radioactive isotope, use the equation t_{1/2} = \frac{\ln 2}{\lambda}. To calculate 1n, use the natural logarithm function on your calculator and
kjevans

Homework Statement

Radioactive decay is:

N = N0e-λt

N can also be used to describe count rate after a time, (t) where N0 is intial count rate and λ is decay constant...

Half life, t1/2 od radioactive isotope is

t1/2 = 1n2
λ

The λ should be under the ln2 but it won't let me underneath

How do I calculate 1n??

For example if time (t) in minutes is 10 and Count rate in 1 minute (N) is 82 what is 1n

I don't understand at all? Any helps is grealty appreciated

Thanks

Homework Equations

As above

The Attempt at a Solution

I found ln on the calculator but confused how I get the answer from t as and n...

I am doing as biology degree but doing a physics module which I am struggling with

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for decay is
[tex]N = N_0 \,e^{-\lambda t}.[/tex]
To find the half-life, set [itex]N = N_0/2[/itex]:
[tex]
\begin{align}
\frac{N_0}{2} &= N_0 \,e^{-\lambda t} \\
\frac{1}{2} &= e^{-\lambda t}.
\end{align}[/tex]
Now you just solve for [itex]t[/itex]:
[tex]
\begin{align}
\ln \frac{1}{2} &= -\lambda t \\
t &= - \frac{1}{\lambda} \ln \frac{1}{2}.
\end{align}[/tex]

1. How do you calculate ln in radioactive decay?

The natural logarithm (ln) in radioactive decay is calculated by taking the natural logarithm of the initial amount of the radioactive substance divided by the current amount. This can be represented as ln(N0/N), where N0 is the initial amount and N is the current amount of the substance.

2. Why is ln used in radioactive decay calculations?

Ln is used in radioactive decay calculations because it is a mathematical function that helps us calculate the rate of decay of a substance over time. In radioactive decay, the amount of a radioactive substance decreases exponentially over time, and ln helps us to determine this rate of decay.

3. How does the half-life of a substance relate to ln in radioactive decay?

The half-life of a substance is the time it takes for half of the initial amount of a radioactive substance to decay. Ln is used to calculate the half-life of a substance by dividing ln(2) by the decay constant, which is the rate at which the substance decays. This can be represented as t1/2 = ln(2)/k.

4. Can ln be used for any type of radioactive substance?

Yes, ln can be used for any type of radioactive substance as long as we have the initial amount and the current amount of the substance. As long as the substance follows an exponential decay pattern, ln can be used to calculate its decay rate and half-life.

5. What is the significance of the ln value obtained in radioactive decay calculations?

The ln value obtained in radioactive decay calculations is significant because it helps us understand the rate at which a substance is decaying. It also allows us to make predictions about the future decay of the substance and its half-life. The ln value can also be used to compare the decay rates of different substances.