Can someone who studied Biomechanics become a doctor?

In summary: I just want to finish off my bachelor degrees of civil engineering, but I'm not sure if I want to work in this field.
a_man
The title says all.

Physics news on Phys.org
a_man said:
The title says all.

Of course. Why do you ask?

But of course you get to go to med school like everyone else first. Seems to me like biomech is as good a foundation as anything.

berkeman said:
Of course. Why do you ask?

I want to have biomechanics as my option, but I just heard that option does not mean much in a real life.

a_man said:
I want to have biomechanics as my option, but I just heard that option does not mean much in a real life.

You can make it be whatever you want to. Also remember the title "Biomechanics" does not mean you will have to be a biomechanical engineer or scientist. People take skills and techniques and learning from parts of their lives and build on it.

Also remember that doctors come from wide ranges of expertise. As long as you have the basic science prerequisites you can apply to pretty much any medical program with of course your MCAT and all that stuff.

Yes.

Answer says it all. :biggrin: Seriously, any strong foundation in the sciences is a good basis for med school. Of course, there is a bit more to it than that, the main thing being people skills, which will become apparent on the interview.

moonbear said:
yes.

Answer says it all. :biggrin: Seriously, [strike]any strong foundation in the[/strike] science[strike]s[/strike] prerequisites and good MCAT results [strike]is a[/strike] are good basis for med school. Of course, there is a bit more to it than that, the main thing being people skills, which [STRIKE]will become[/STRIKE] are sometimes apparent on the interview and reference letters.

ftfy(?)

Do you think Civil engineering is a terrible foundation ?
I just want to finish off my bachelor degrees of civil engineering, but nor sure if I want to work in this field.

1. Can someone with a degree in Biomechanics become a doctor?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a degree in Biomechanics to become a doctor. However, they would need to complete additional coursework and training in order to meet the requirements for medical school.

2. Is a degree in Biomechanics a good foundation for medical school?

While a degree in Biomechanics can provide a strong foundation in understanding the mechanics of the human body, it may not cover all the necessary subjects for medical school. It is important for students to research and plan accordingly to ensure they meet the prerequisites for medical school.

3. What additional coursework would someone with a degree in Biomechanics need to take for medical school?

Additional coursework may include subjects such as biology, chemistry, physics, and anatomy. It is also recommended for students to gain experience in a clinical setting and participate in extracurricular activities related to healthcare.

4. Can someone with a degree in Biomechanics specialize in a specific area of medicine?

Yes, medical students with a background in Biomechanics may choose to specialize in areas such as orthopedics, sports medicine, or rehabilitation. Their knowledge of how the body moves and functions can be valuable in these fields.

5. Are there any advantages for someone with a degree in Biomechanics pursuing a career in medicine?

Having a background in Biomechanics can provide a unique perspective and understanding of the human body, which can be beneficial in diagnosing and treating patients. It can also open up opportunities to work in research and development for medical devices or procedures.