Can Sun's Gravity Alter Earth's Landscape Over Billions of Years?

In summary: Google for "tidal lock", see what you find.In summary, the gravitational pull of the sun can keep Earth's surface smooth over a long period of time if Earth is in the same orbit as the sun.
us40
Hello,
My question is regarding effect of sun's gravity on earth. I want to know that if sun's gravity can change Earth's landscape in long duration (i.e. billion of years ) or not?? Means if Earth is dead planet and all other planets are not present in the solar system and Earth is as near as sun as mercury currently orbiting. And also suppose Earth's surface is not smooth (because of hitting with other small bodies at regular interval) then can Earth's surface can be smooth in long duration by gravity of sun or not??

Physics news on Phys.org
Google for "tidal lock", see what you find. That's by far the most prominent tidal effect in planetary motion. Earth has tidal-locked the moon and in principle the sun could tidal lock the Earth if we were to wait long enough.

Two exercises you might find worthwhile:
1) estimate how long "long enough" in the previous sentence is.
2) consider a lump of rock one kilometer across, sitting on the surface of the Earth (that's sometimes called a "mountain":smile:). Roughly, what is the magnitude of the Earth's gravitational force on it? How does it compare with the the tidal forces from the sun?

Bit of a mismatch of separate thoughts here:
us40 said:
My question is regarding effect of sun's gravity on earth. I want to know that if sun's gravity can change Earth's landscape in long duration (i.e. billion of years ) or not??
Beyond the tides, no -- all of the Earth is in orbit, so it is all in freefall around the sun, feeling no force.
Means if Earth is dead planet and all other planets are not present in the solar system and Earth is as near as sun as mercury currently orbiting.
Not sure if I follow - what do you mean by that? If Earth were where Mercury is, it would be hot.
And also suppose Earth's surface is not smooth (because of hitting with other small bodies at regular interval) then can Earth's surface can be smooth in long duration by gravity of sun or not??
Earth is smoother than a bowling ball. Generally, the more gravity, the better it can pull itself back into a spheroid.

1. How does the Sun's tidal force affect the Earth?

The Sun's tidal force is the gravitational pull exerted by the Sun on the Earth. This force causes the Earth's oceans and land masses to bulge, creating high and low tides.

2. What causes the Sun's tidal force?

The Sun's tidal force is caused by the difference in gravitational pull on the Earth's near and far sides. The side of the Earth closest to the Sun experiences a stronger gravitational pull than the far side, resulting in the bulging of oceans and land masses.

3. Does the Sun's tidal force have any other effects on the Earth?

In addition to causing tides, the Sun's tidal force also affects the Earth's rotation. This force creates a slight bulge in the Earth's shape, causing the Earth's rotation to slow down by about 2 milliseconds per century.

4. How does the Moon's tidal force compare to the Sun's tidal force?

The Moon's tidal force is about twice as strong as the Sun's tidal force on the Earth. This is because the Moon is much closer to the Earth and therefore has a stronger gravitational pull.

5. Can the Sun's tidal force cause earthquakes or other natural disasters?

No, the Sun's tidal force is not strong enough to directly cause earthquakes or other natural disasters. However, it can contribute to the stresses on the Earth's crust, potentially triggering seismic activity in conjunction with other factors.