Can TEX be sent and read in email?

• Thread starter bobfei
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary, The conversation discusses different methods for sending TEX formulas in emails. Some suggestions include embedding a HTML file or uploading a screenshot, while others suggest sending a PDF or JPEG file. It is also mentioned that there are add-ons for email clients that support TEX rendering, such as Equations for Thunderbird. Another option is to use a website like mathbin.net to generate a link for the TEX formula. Overall, it is recommended to choose a method that is most convenient for both the sender and recipient.
bobfei
Hello,

I would like to ask a question on sending TEX formulas in email.

If I paste TEX code directly into an email client, will it be readable by the recipient? Does it depend on the email client they use? The most popular email client perhaps is MS Outlook, so does that support TEX rendering?

Thanks,
Bob

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have never heard about mail client supporting TEX.

bobfei said:
Hello,

I would like to ask a question on sending TEX formulas in email.

If I paste TEX code directly into an email client, will it be readable by the recipient? Does it depend on the email client they use? The most popular email client perhaps is MS Outlook, so does that support TEX rendering?

Thanks,
Bob

I think your best bet would be to embed a HTML file or some web-page into the message that converted your tex into graphics (like PF and other websites do).

Or take a screenshot and upload those images :wink:

Why not just compile the .tex to a PDF/PS/DVI/whatever and attach it?

HTML email is an abomination.

Thanks for the answer. I would choose either PDF or picture.

Bob

I would second making a pdf file and sending it. The exception would be if there is to be any collaboration or modification of the file by the recipient. In that case the other user likely has TeX installed on his computer and you could always attach the TeX file as a plain text document and let the recipient compile it himself.

bobfei said:
Thanks for the answer. I would choose either PDF or picture.

Bob

PDF or JPEG is definitely the way to go :).

I do wonder if there are add-ons for e-mail clients so that they can support latex...

EDIT: Lookie here! http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Internet-Utilities/Equations-for-Thunderbird.shtml [Broken]

Looks like a few people have developed add-ons for Thunderbird to allow Latex compilation. I might give this a try!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. (But it's HTML email. :( )

As far as IM goes, I know Pidgin supports LaTeX, and Kopete as well (default KDE chat client).

This is what I always use http://mathbin.net

Put whatever you want in it, then include the link in the email.

...and then there are those of us whose brains are mental TeX parsers...

1. Can I send TEX files through email?

Yes, TEX files can be sent through email just like any other file. However, the recipient may need to have TEX-compatible software in order to open and read the file properly.

2. Can I include TEX equations in the body of an email?

Yes, TEX equations can be included in the body of an email using special formatting and symbols. However, some email clients may not support this feature and the equations may not display correctly for the recipient.

3. Can I use TEX to format my email text?

Yes, you can use TEX formatting commands to style your email text. However, the recipient will need to have a TEX-compatible software or plugin in order to see the formatting correctly.

4. Are there any limitations to using TEX in emails?

Yes, there may be limitations depending on the email client and the recipient's software. Some email clients may not support TEX formatting or equations, and the recipient may not have the necessary software to view them properly.

5. Can I send and receive TEX files on all email platforms?

Yes, as long as the email platform allows file attachments, you can send and receive TEX files. However, as mentioned before, the recipient may need certain software in order to view the files correctly.