Can the efficiency of a solar cell with a single band gap reach 100%?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 2K views
yecko
Gold Member
Messages
275
Reaction score
15
Homework Statement
Can the efficiency of a solar cell with a single band gap reach 100%?
Relevant Equations
hf>Wg (band gap energy)
I have tried looking up online with the photoelectric effect, it just mentioned the energy of the photon must have to equal to band-gap energy.
Yet, it didn't mention if 100% can be reached in that case, or if a single bandgap makes any effect??

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/physics/chapter/29-2-the-photoelectric-effect/
https://www.e-education.psu.edu/eme812/node/534

I will have exam tomorrow, and I would like to clarify with the concept. Thank you very much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the solar spectrum look like? Is it very narrow, and centered near the band gap wavelength? Or is it very broad...?