Superposed_Cat
- 388
- 5
∫cos^-x/e^x^x? can this be done? A thanks to anyone who can do this.
yes.pwsnafu said:And what does "can this be done" mean? Are you asking if it's integrable? Are you asking if it has an elementary derivative?
arildno said:It sure exists an antiderivative. It's just that is impossible to find a neat formula for it.
I strenuously oppose that that is a NEAT formula.pwsnafu said:If f(x) is an integrable function, then ##g(x) = \int_{a}^{x} f(t) \, dt## is an antiderivative. This is why I asked what you mean by "can be done".
Of course there's an antiderivative. The problem is that you can't express it in terms of a finite number of operations using only the elementary functions. You can express it, for example, as some kind of infinite series. Good luck developing that, though.Superposed_Cat said:Damn, I hoping there was an antiderivative.
Superposed_Cat said:Damn, I hoping there was an antiderivative.
The answer to that would be "no" for almost every integrable function.Superposed_Cat said:Translation:Damn, I was hoping that there was an antiderivative that could be found non-numerically in less than an hour.