Can the number of edges determine isomorphism in graphs?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter AlbertEinstein
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graphs Isomorphism
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
AlbertEinstein
Messages
113
Reaction score
1
Hi all,

If I have to prove that the graph G and its complement G' are isomorphic, then is it enough to prove that both G and G' will have the same number of edges. Intuitively its clear to me, but how do I prove this. If there's a counterexample, please post.

Thanks in advance.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
AlbertEinstein said:
Hi all,

If I have to prove that the graph G and its complement G' are isomorphic, then is it enough to prove that both G and G' will have the same number of edges. Intuitively its clear to me, but how do I prove this. If there's a counterexample, please post.

Thanks in advance.

That is certainly not enough. Consider the graphs of four vertices and three edges. They are not isomorphic to each of their complements.
To prove an isomorphism you will need to define a function f : G --> G' such that an edge between [tex]v_1[/tex] and [tex]v_2[/tex] implies that there is an edge between [tex]f(v_1)[/tex] and [tex]f(v_2)[/tex].
 
Oh yeah, I got the point.

Thanks for the help.