Can the probability of an event ever be exactly zero?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter aquaregia
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Probability Zero
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
62 replies · 12K views
quadraphonics said:
Indeed, the cost of including infinity in a number system is that certain basic expressions must remain undefined, when they include infinity. But so what? They're still defined as usual for every finite number, and the expressions where infinity is sensible (like [itex]1/\infty=0[/itex]) are still well defined.

There is also a finite number that does not work in many basic algebraic manipulations, but is nevertheless included in many standard number systems.

Can you give me an example of a finite number that I can't multiply both sides of an equation by?

I'm not trying to be a brat. I'm just not seeing this.

I would agree that the limit as n -> infinity of 1/n = zero

But I'm having a hard time with this 1/infinity = 0 thing...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Archosaur said:
Can you give me an example of a finite number that I can't multiply both sides of an equation by?

No, but there is a finite real number that you can't divide both sides of an equation by :]

Archosaur said:
I would agree that the limit as n -> infinity of 1/n = zero

But I'm having a hard time with this 1/infinity = 0 thing...

[itex]\infty[/itex], as it is used in the extended reals, is essentially a shorthard for that type of limit expression.
 
quadraphonics said:
[itex]\infty[/itex], as it is used in the extended reals, is essentially a shorthard for that type of limit expression.

I am totally okay with this! I'll sleep easy tonight, thanks!