Can the "same" particle be used in different experiments?

In summary, the conversation discussed the interaction between a particle and a measuring apparatus, which often leads to the loss of the particle. The question was raised whether it is possible to conserve the particle and prevent its loss, and if so, whether it would yield interesting results. Examples were given of experiments where a single particle was measured without being destroyed. The question was then clarified regarding the loss of particles in a Mach-Zender interferometer experiment and whether it is inevitable or dependent on the design of the detector.
Souma
When a particle is observed, an interaction must happen between it and the measuring apparatus. But, this interaction mostly (if not always) leads to the loss of the particle, and hence, can't be used again to do the same experiment or different experiments. I know that particles are identical (photons are identical to each other, electrons are identical to each other, and so on), but is it possible to conserve the particle & prevent losing it? or is it an inevitable loss for the sake of measurement? Will we get interesting results if this was possible? or is it useless?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are examples for experiments with a single particle/atom in a trap measuring it without destroying it, e.g., laser spectroscopy.

Likes Souma
vanhees71 said:
There are examples for experiments with a single particle/atom in a trap measuring it without destroying it, e.g., laser spectroscopy.
I actually didn't know it was possible to keep the particle without destroying it. Thank you for your example. But what about those experiments in which the particle is destroyed? will it be of any use to keep the particle? or will the results be the same as using different particles (of the same type)?

You asked for an example where the particle was saved. You got an answer, and now you told us that answer doesn't count. You are now asking for an example where the particle is simultaneously destroyed and not destroyed.

I think you should think careful about what you are asking and pose a clearer question.

Likes Souma
Vanadium 50 said:
You asked for an example where the particle was saved. You got an answer, and now you told us that answer doesn't count. You are now asking for an example where the particle is simultaneously destroyed and not destroyed.

I think you should think careful about what you are asking and pose a clearer question.
Sorry if I sounded like that, but I never said or thought that the answer doesn't count or bad. I am actually amazed that scientists can conserve the particle without destroying it when observing it. If you look at my post, you can see that I also asked about if we will get interesting results when using the same particle in different experiments. You know, a lot of particles in a lot of experiments are destroyed when observed, I was wondering if the results would be interesting if the particle was not destroyed and used again in the same experiment (or another experiment). I got my answer about whether physicists were able to conserve the particle, I just wanted to go deeper and ask about those experiments in which the particle is destroyed.
Another thing I like to mention is that I never asked about an example where the particle is simultaneously destroyed and not destroyed. If in those experiments the particle must be destroyed, then that's the end of it and nothing can be done. But if, in theory, there was a way to conserve the particle, will the results of using this particle be the same as using other particles (of the same type) in those experiments?
Again, I am sorry if I was not clear, but I think the other question I asked @vanhees71 is related to my post.
By the way, thank you for telling me to be careful about what I am asking. I am new to physics & physicsforums, and I hope I get better at expressing all that I want in my post.

I don't think that was any clearer.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't think that was any clearer.
Let's take a Mach-Zender interferometer experiment as an example. In the picture below, I have sketched it (sorry for the bad sketch), where the blue lines are the mirrors (the ones with black inside are half splitters), the red boxes are the detectors, the green lines are the paths (possible paths) of the particle, the blue is the source, and the black is the parameter of the apparatus. As far as I know, the particle is lost at the detectors in order to observe them. My questions are as follow: is the loss of the particle inevitable? or is it a matter of how the detector is built? If the former, then I don't have any other questions. If the latter, then will using it again give interesting results? or will it just be as if we used another particle?
This is an example of what I was asking about. Hope this makes it clearer.
By the way, the paths outside the parameter are just my vision on how we can use the particle again if it was not lost.
Exp.png

Typically photons are measured by destroying them, while matter particles are still around afterwards - they might be in a different state, however. There are a few exceptions, and more complex setups, but that's the general trend.

Your setup isn't doing anything special here, it just makes the experiment (before detecting the photon) more complex.

• Informative
Likes Souma
mfb said:
Typically photons are measured by destroying them, while matter particles are still around afterwards - they might be in a different state, however. There are a few exceptions, and more complex setups, but that's the general trend.

Your setup isn't doing anything special here, it just makes the experiment (before detecting the photon) more complex.
Thank you very much for this information. This is actually really valuable to me.

1. Can the "same" particle be used in different experiments?

Yes, the same particle can be used in different experiments. Particles are not unique and can be reproduced or found in multiple locations. Therefore, it is possible to use the same particle in different experiments.

2. Are there any limitations to using the "same" particle in different experiments?

Yes, there are limitations to using the same particle in different experiments. The particle may have different properties or characteristics in different environments or experimental setups, which could affect the results. Additionally, contamination or degradation of the particle could also impact its use in different experiments.

3. How do scientists ensure that the "same" particle is used in different experiments?

Scientists use various methods to ensure that the same particle is used in different experiments. This can include labeling the particle with a unique identifier, tracking its movement and location, and conducting tests to confirm its identity and properties.

4. Is it common for scientists to use the "same" particle in different experiments?

Yes, it is common for scientists to use the same particle in different experiments. This allows for consistency and comparison of results across different experiments and research studies. However, scientists must take precautions to ensure the particle is used correctly and accurately in each experiment.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with using the "same" particle in different experiments?

There could be ethical concerns with using the same particle in different experiments, particularly if the particle is living or has the potential to cause harm. In these cases, scientists must follow ethical guidelines and obtain proper consent or approval before using the particle in different experiments.