Can there be an intelligence which is not evolutionary?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of intelligence and whether it can exist without a process of evolution. The speaker also questions the idea of creating ideas from scratch, suggesting that they are built upon past experiences and rules in a subconscious mental simulation. The thread is then closed for moderation, with the topic deemed unsuitable for discussion.
finaquant
Hello

My question is for those who are interested in evolution and artificial intelligence:

Can there be any kind of intelligence which is not based on an evolutionary selection process?

I will try to explain why I ask this.

With intelligence people usually mean devising an idea as if instantaneously, as if out of nothing. But that is probably not true; idea is a product of a thinking process, and a thinking process is maybe (?) a sort of evolution which happens in our brains.

How do we think at all? Do we really create some ideas from the scratch? I don’t believe so. I think, many axioms, options and ideas built upon past experiences and rules (learned or hardwired) compete in our brain in a subconscious area; a mental simulation of trial and error.

We don’t need to test each case in real physical life, because our brain has the capability of simulating the approximate real life conditions, even if not always perfectly.

Because we consciously perceive only the winning ideas that come to the surface we live maybe ? under the illusion that we create our ideas out of nothing.

Tunc

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Thread closed for Moderation...

Thread will remain locked. This is not a topic we wish to discuss in PF.

1. Can intelligence exist without being influenced by evolution?

This is a highly debated topic in the scientific community. While some argue that intelligence is a product of evolution and natural selection, others believe that it can exist independently of evolutionary processes.

2. What is the difference between evolutionary and non-evolutionary intelligence?

The main difference is that evolutionary intelligence is shaped by genetic and environmental factors over a long period of time, while non-evolutionary intelligence is developed through learning and problem-solving in a shorter time frame.

3. Is there any evidence of non-evolutionary intelligence in nature?

There are some examples of animals exhibiting intelligent behavior that cannot be explained by evolutionary processes, such as tool usage in primates and problem-solving abilities in octopuses. However, more research is needed to fully understand the origins of these behaviors.

4. Can non-evolutionary intelligence be as complex as evolutionary intelligence?

There is no clear answer to this question. Some argue that non-evolutionary intelligence can be just as complex, if not more, as it is not limited by genetic constraints. Others argue that evolutionary intelligence has had millions of years to develop and therefore may be more complex.

5. How does the concept of non-evolutionary intelligence impact our understanding of human intelligence?

This is a complex question with no definitive answer. Some scientists argue that recognizing the potential for non-evolutionary intelligence can expand our understanding of human intelligence and its capabilities. Others believe that human intelligence is inherently linked to evolutionary processes and cannot be separated from them.