Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of visualizing numbers as 3D cubes to better understand their magnitude and implications. This method can aid in understanding the dimensions of the universe, particle physics, and the complexity of life. It also touches on the idea that the ability to visualize numbers in this way is not a new concept, but it can have practical applications in various fields. Additionally, the conversation mentions the usefulness of logarithms in preserving the one-dimensional order of numbers.
Peter Gleeson
Many of the numbers that define us and our world are beyond the scope of linear counting. If you count a billion seconds, it is more than 32 years, but if you can visualize them as a cube, it has sides of 16 minutes and 40 seconds. A billion millimetre cubes in a line span 1000km, but if you put them into a cube, they are a cubic metre. A billion billion cubic millimetres is a cubic km, or it is a line 3 times the distance to the sun. Developing the ability to recognize the true nature of uncountable numbers by visualizing them as 3D cubes gives us access to the dimensions of the universe, the nature of particle physics, the complexity of multicellular life, the number of synapses each second that cause awareness, the way we are related to distant ancestors, the rest of humanity, and how distant future generations will be related to us.
We see an object as being one thing, but it is also a billion billionths, and it is a billionth of a billion. It is a billion billion billionths of billionths and it is a billionth billionth of a billion billion. This is obviously true, but are we able to know truly what these numbers mean? I think such understandings require practice to incorporate them into our 'common sense'. The reward for doing this is a different kind of awareness. One that understands the nature of photons, the retina and the processes that create sight.
If we look back 30 generation we find a billion ancestral links to that population. That is just 750 years. If we go back 1500 year, we find a billion billion ancestral links. Only some of the people in that time possessed the exact genes that caused us to be. But there were individuals alive then who were our ancestors thousands of billions of times over. This is the way people in 1500 years will be related to us.
Every time you multiply or divide by a billion the reality of what you are investigating changes. This doesn't mean you give up and deal with it in purely symbolic ways. There is a way to recognize the limitations of our awareness and the context in which reality exists.
Is this a new idea? I learned it 23 years ago after listening to a documentary on human calculators who saw numbers as landscape. I decided that I could develop something along those same lines. It probably takes practice. It isn't something to rote learn. It has to be known. It has to be recognized without the need for applying a formula. It seems to be an intellectual tool with many applications, all of them good, all of them contributing to our ability to understand awareness, consciousness, intelligence, life, reality, time, universe and cosmos.
But is it a new and original idea? I spoke to a retired professor of particle physics and he was shocked by its implications.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Visualizing numbers by volumes isn't new. I suggest you search the web for "visualize a trillion dollars" to see various examples.

But the fact that real numbers, of any size, can be placed in a one-dimensional order is crucial to their use. That has nothing to do with "visualizing" large numbers.

HallsofIvy said:
But the fact that real numbers, of any size, can be placed in a one-dimensional order is crucial to their use. That has nothing to do with "visualizing" large numbers.

That's a good point. One of the reasons that logarithms are so useful (statmech, stellar and earthquake magnitudes, pH measurements, ...) is that they preserve this property even as the reduce enormous ranges to a more tractable scale.

I find this concept fascinating and thought-provoking. It highlights the limitations of linear counting and the power of visualizing numbers in a three-dimensional way. This approach allows us to better understand the vastness and complexity of the universe and our place within it.

It is true that every time we multiply or divide by a billion, the reality of what we are investigating changes. This is a crucial aspect of scientific research, as it allows us to explore different scales and dimensions. However, I agree that it is important to recognize the limitations of our awareness and to develop tools, such as visualizing numbers in 3D, to better understand the context in which reality exists.

While I cannot speak to the originality of this idea, I can say that it aligns with the principles of scientific inquiry and the pursuit of understanding the world around us. It is through questioning and exploring unconventional ideas that we make progress and expand our knowledge. I believe that this concept has the potential to contribute to our understanding of many aspects of the universe, from particle physics to the complexity of life and consciousness.

In conclusion, I believe that the concept of visualizing numbers in 3D is a valuable tool for scientists and researchers in various fields. It challenges us to think beyond linear counting and opens up new avenues for exploration and understanding. I look forward to seeing how this idea develops and how it can contribute to our understanding of the world and ourselves.

1. What is "Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths?"

"Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths" is a form of advanced counting that utilizes three-dimensional imaging technology to count extremely small particles or objects at a scale of billions of billionths. This technique allows for more precise and accurate measurements than traditional linear counting methods.

2. How does "Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths" differ from traditional counting methods?

The main difference between "Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths" and traditional counting methods is the use of three-dimensional imaging technology. This allows for a more comprehensive and accurate count of extremely small particles or objects, as opposed to just counting them in a linear manner.

3. What are the applications of "Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths" in scientific research?

"Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths" has a wide range of applications in scientific research, particularly in fields such as nanotechnology, biology, and materials science. It can be used to count and measure nanoparticles, cells, and other microscopic structures, providing valuable insights and data for further research and development.

4. What are the advantages of using "Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths" over traditional counting methods?

The use of "Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths" offers several advantages over traditional counting methods. These include higher accuracy and precision, the ability to count extremely small particles or objects, and the ability to obtain more detailed data and insights from the count.

5. Are there any limitations to "Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths"?

While "Not Linear counting, 3D counting billions of billionths" is a highly advanced and accurate counting technique, there are still some limitations to consider. These may include the cost of equipment and technology needed, as well as the time and expertise required to process and analyze the data obtained from the count.