1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can this gravity problem be solved without using the Earth's mass

1. Mar 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A satellite orbits the Earth in a geosynchronous orbit around the equator, meaning that its period is 24 hours and it stays above the same location on earth at all times. (G = 6.67 x 10⁻¹¹ Nm²/kg².) What is the radius of its orbit?

2. Relevant equations
    GM/r2 = v2/r = w2r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can solve this if the mass of Earth is given but since it isn't I'd like to know if there is a way to solve this without using Earth's mass

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2017 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sometimes you may have to look things up.

4. Mar 15, 2017 #3
    You know that g = GM/re2, rearrange this to give you the expression for M then go from there

5. Mar 15, 2017 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sure, but then re needs to be looked up.

6. Mar 16, 2017 #5
    This is true enough and in general I think that re is given in data tables rather than M.(certainly in A level reference tables)
    Also the combination GM usually crops up on both side of gravitational equations and therefore cancel out
    In this example for the Earth gE = GME/rE2 and for the satellite gs = GME/rs2
    This gives gErE2 = gsrs2
    knowing that gs = v2/rs and further substitution enables rs to be calculated.
    If re is not given then an answer can still be obtained in terms of re

7. Mar 17, 2017 #6

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is, of course, correct. Perhaps the problem should have asked
    to make things clear.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted