Can Thyroid Dysfunction Affect Blood Pressure and Heart Rate?

In summary, the person's blood pressure is higher when their heart rate is faster and lower when their heart rate is slower. This is not a definitive indication of anything, but it is something to be taken into account when checking blood pressure.
~christina~
Gold Member
I was just wondering what it means if you have tested yourself with a home tester and found that:

1. When your heartbeat is fast, your bloodpressure is normal
  2. When your heartbeat is slow, your bloodpressure is high

Would that mean that one's blood is thick? :biggrin:

Biology news on Phys.org
It means you need to have your blood pressure checked by a doctor.

Slow, fast, normal, and high as used above are all relative terms that tell very little. But, if increasing your heart rate is lowering your blood pressure, that could indicate a problem with stroke efficiency...your heart is working harder to pump more, but not as much blood is being moved with each beat.

For example, a high heart rate and low blood pressure would occur after a major blood loss resulting in shock as the body is trying to get what little oxygenated blood it has out to keep the tissues alive, but there isn't much to go around.

Another possibility is you just aren't using your blood pressure device correctly and are getting erroneous readings. But, you really should have a doctor check that out since what you describe is not sounding normal at all.

Moonbear said:
It means you need to have your blood pressure checked by a doctor.

Slow, fast, normal, and high as used above are all relative terms that tell very little. But, if increasing your heart rate is lowering your blood pressure, that could indicate a problem with stroke efficiency...your heart is working harder to pump more, but not as much blood is being moved with each beat.

For example, a high heart rate and low blood pressure would occur after a major blood loss resulting in shock as the body is trying to get what little oxygenated blood it has out to keep the tissues alive, but there isn't much to go around.

Another possibility is you just aren't using your blood pressure device correctly and are getting erroneous readings. But, you really should have a doctor check that out since what you describe is not sounding normal at all.

Yes I thought that the wrist blood pressure monitor must be acting funny so I used the arm one and it occationally gave me that same result.
I did check it out with my physician and he said that it was "nothing" and that my blood pressure was normal.
I was just wondering what could be causing the readings on the blood pressure monitor.

As for the terms "high" and "low" I refer to readings such as:
SYS/DIA-Heartbeat

76/58-114

107/68-120

Thanks Moonbear.

~christina~ said:
Yes I thought that the wrist blood pressure monitor must be acting funny so I used the arm one and it occationally gave me that same result.
I did check it out with my physician and he said that it was "nothing" and that my blood pressure was normal.
I was just wondering what could be causing the readings on the blood pressure monitor.

As for the terms "high" and "low" I refer to readings such as:
SYS/DIA-Heartbeat

76/58-114

107/68-120

Thanks Moonbear.

Both of those heart rates are pretty fast. The first blood pressure reading is a little low, but nothing to worry about if you're generally fit, the second more normal...but not considering that heart rate.

Have you manually checked your pulse to see if it's at all consistent with those readings? It may not be positioned quite correctly and is getting false readings. If you're not getting accurate readings, then you can't make much of any relationships, since it could be random chance from whatever is being picked up.

What is the typical relation between blood pressure and heart rate for healthy persons? If I have my blood pressure measured then I usually get uncomfortable when the band tightens around my arm. My heart rate increases due to the stress. Usually it rises to about 70 beats per minute or so during the measurement, while in rest it is about 42 beats per minute. The last time I had my blood pressure measured it was 130/80 at a heart rate of 80 bpm, so almost double the heart rate compared to normal.

And what would the blood pressure be during excercise when my heart rate is about 150 beats per minute?

Moonbear said:
Both of those heart rates are pretty fast. The first blood pressure reading is a little low, but nothing to worry about if you're generally fit, the second more normal...but not considering that heart rate.
I'm generally fit except for the thyroid condition. :rolleyes:
Have you manually checked your pulse to see if it's at all consistent with those readings? It may not be positioned quite correctly and is getting false readings. If you're not getting accurate readings, then you can't make much of any relationships, since it could be random chance from whatever is being picked up.

The lower blood pressure was caused by a blood pressure band expanding before it read the full measurements. (I found this out after it happening a few times in the last day)

Thanks for all your help Moonbear.

Count Iblis said:
What is the typical relation between blood pressure and heart rate for healthy persons? If I have my blood pressure measured then I usually get uncomfortable when the band tightens around my arm. My heart rate increases due to the stress. Usually it rises to about 70 beats per minute or so during the measurement, while in rest it is about 42 beats per minute. The last time I had my blood pressure measured it was 130/80 at a heart rate of 80 bpm, so almost double the heart rate compared to normal.

And what would the blood pressure be during excercise when my heart rate is about 150 beats per minute?

Blood pressure should go up when the heartbeat goes up.

I started getting nervous when the band tightened and made that funny noise and it occationally gets my heart beat up.

Thyroid, this can be explanation, with vasodilation outside of the normal, and the heart working harder to circulate. I would think of a sonogram of your heart, if I were to be you. I wish to add, that there is no substituting the work of a doctor or nurse with a proper cuff and a stethoscope for BP. None.

Related to Can Thyroid Dysfunction Affect Blood Pressure and Heart Rate?

What is blood pressure?

Blood pressure refers to the force of blood pushing against the walls of your arteries as your heart pumps blood throughout your body. It is measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg) and consists of two numbers, systolic pressure (top number) and diastolic pressure (bottom number).

What is a normal blood pressure range?

A normal blood pressure range is typically between 90/60 mmHg and 120/80 mmHg. However, this range can vary depending on factors such as age, overall health, and physical activity level.

What is the difference between systolic and diastolic pressure?

Systolic pressure is the top number in a blood pressure reading and represents the amount of pressure in your arteries when your heart is contracting and pumping blood. Diastolic pressure is the bottom number and represents the amount of pressure in your arteries when your heart is relaxed and filling with blood.

What is a normal heart rate?

A normal heart rate is typically between 60-100 beats per minute. However, this can vary depending on factors such as age, physical activity level, and overall health.

How does blood pressure and heart rate affect overall health?

Blood pressure and heart rate are important factors in maintaining overall health. High blood pressure (hypertension) and high heart rate (tachycardia) can put strain on the heart and increase the risk of heart disease, stroke, and other health issues. It is important to monitor and maintain healthy levels of both blood pressure and heart rate through lifestyle choices such as regular exercise and a balanced diet.