Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can time be modeled by an asymptote?

Tags:
  1. Dec 8, 2014 #1
    Hello all! I'm new to this forum (and forums in general as this is my first) so please excuse my etiquette. When I was in my trig class (I'm a high schooler), we brushed up upon asymptotes, and it made me wonder: Can time be modeled by an asymptote? I like the idea of a line moving in a direction infinitely toward a point without ever reaching it. I related this to time. That is, if time never had a beginning nor will every have an end. If time could be modeled as an asymptote, what would the x and y axis be labeled as, beginning and end of time? (Are there more dimensions? Z axis?). I can't really make sense of this, but I imagine that the line would represent the movement of time itself, moving infinitely in both directions? Has this already been done? Is time even real? Does this even make any sense?! Please enlighten me...

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2014 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Thinking of a moving along the curve that forms an asymptote, we would wouldn't be moving "toward a point". If our coordinate is (x,y), our y coordinate might be moving toward a point on the y-axis. But the (x,y) location isnt moving "toward a point". It's seems just a well to use a straight line to plot the time coordinate

4. Dec 8, 2014 #3
    Hmmm, the answer was much simpler than I thought it would be... A simple line could describe it. I made it confusing for nothing. Thank you!

5. Dec 8, 2014 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

If we think of modeling time by something moving, this is a circular type of thinking because to have something moving presupposes you have the phenomena of time in order to have the motion.

A similar type of circular thinking plagues us when we try to model other basic phenomena - such as mass and probability. The "General DIscussions" section of the forum is the place to discuss such generalities. The physics sections are for specific questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook