Understanding Asymptotes in Rindler Space - Physics Forums

• Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, Lenny Susskind says that the null-lines, or light cone, lines of the Minkowski diagram at being equivalent to a zero radius in a uniformly accelerated reference frame. This was surprising to me since it looked as though the lines on the graph clearly showed a traversal of space and time that looks on the graph to be non-zero at these asymptotes. However, it does make sense when you consider that the Lorentz contraction pushes a radius to zero once we hit the extreme of these asymptotes.
DiracPool
If you look at this video, Lenny Susskind says that you can look at the null-lines, or light cone, lines of the Minkowski diagram at being equivalent to a zero radius in a uniformly accelerated reference frame. This was surprising to me since it looked as though the lines on the graph clearly showed a traversal of space and time that looks on the graph to be non-zero at these asymptotes. However, it does make sense when you consider that the Lorentz contraction pushes a radius to zero once we hit the extreme of these asymptotes.

My question is does this apply to the time axis also? I mean, once you shrink your "time radius," if you will, down to zero, do the time-like asymptotes also qualify as zero all along their extents as they do for their space-like counterparts? It would seem as if they would. But Lenny doesn't state this explicitly.

Forward to 124:50

Lastly, what are the implication here for a post I made earlier. This post asked the question of whether (effectively) time was zero and space was zero along the asymptotes in the Minkowski diagram. From Lenny's dialog, this would indeed be to seem the case.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/minkowski-diagram-questions.838131/

Physics news on Phys.org
From the origin, the locus of all events with a fixed spacetime interval ##s^2=-t^2+x^2+y^2+z^2## is a hyperboloid of one sheet if ##s^2>0## or a hyperboloid of two sheets if ##s^2<0##. In either case, the hyperboloid thus formed is asymptotic to the light cone formed by ##s^2=0##, which is a degenerate hyperboloid.

In the video he is making the analogy between a hyperboloid and a sphere, where a sphere is the locus of all points with a fixed distance ##r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2## from the origin.

DaleSpam said:
In the video he is making the analogy between a hyperboloid and a sphere, where a sphere is the locus of all points with a fixed distance r2=x2+y2+z2r^2=x^2+y^2+z^2 from the origin.

He is not specifically talking about a "hyperboloid," per se. In fact, he pointedly voids this distinction by eschewing the participation of the y and z axis, if you look earlier in the video. He's specifically modeling hyperbolas.

The Rindler space model he presents is one dimension of time and one dimension of space. The rest of your comment doesn't address my question, in all due respect, DaleSpam :biggrin:

DiracPool said:
He is not specifically talking about a "hyperboloid," per se.
You are right. I have watched that video, but was going from memory.

Replace all of the 4D comments with corresponding 2D comments and the point remains. The light cone is a degenerate hyperbola which is asymptotic to both timelike and spacelike hyperbolas.

DaleSpam said:
The light cone is a degenerate hyperbola which is asymptotic to both timelike and spacelike hyperbolas.

Ok, but to address my initial question, can we regard the null-lines as effectively zero radius and zero time?

Let's say notwithstanding the argument that a photon cannot claim to have it's own inertial reference frame. Just from a broad cursory look at what the Minkowski diagram is saying or representing...

DaleSpam said:
The light cone is a degenerate hyperbola which is asymptotic to both timelike and spacelike hyperbolas.

OK, I re-read that post and am wondering what "asymptotic to both timelike and spacelike hyperbolas" means. Remember, I have a big B as the prefix in the title description thread o_O

DiracPool said:
Ok, but to address my initial question, can we regard the null-lines as effectively zero radius and zero time?
No. This is one difference between a hyperboloid and a sphere. A degenerate sphere is a single point with no extension along any of the axes. A degenerate hyperboloid is a cone with infinite extension along all axes. Similarly with 2D figures.

DiracPool said:
OK, I re-read that post and am wondering what "asymptotic to both timelike and spacelike hyperbolas" means. Remember, I have a big B as the prefix in the title description thread o_O
Sorry. I don't know how to explain it simpler than with reference to the equations for geometric figures. Do you remember the equation of a sphere and of a hyperbola from high school algebra? It may have been a while, but I bet you have seen this before (maybe not with these words, but with the same math)

1. What is an asymptote in Rindler space?

An asymptote in Rindler space is a line or curve that a function approaches but never intersects. In Rindler space, the asymptotes represent the boundary between regions of space that are accessible and those that are not accessible to an observer.

2. How do asymptotes in Rindler space relate to general relativity?

Asymptotes in Rindler space are a consequence of the principles of general relativity. They are a result of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of massive objects, such as stars or planets. The presence of asymptotes in Rindler space is a manifestation of the warping of space-time by these massive objects.

3. Can asymptotes in Rindler space be observed?

No, asymptotes in Rindler space cannot be observed directly. They are a mathematical concept that helps us understand the structure of space-time in the presence of massive objects. However, their effects can be observed through the bending of light and the gravitational effects on objects in the vicinity of these massive objects.

4. Are asymptotes in Rindler space the same as event horizons?

No, asymptotes in Rindler space and event horizons are different concepts. An event horizon is a boundary in space-time beyond which events cannot affect an outside observer, such as the event horizon of a black hole. Asymptotes in Rindler space, on the other hand, are a boundary between regions of space that are accessible and those that are not accessible to an observer in Rindler coordinates.

5. How do I calculate asymptotes in Rindler space?

The specific method for calculating asymptotes in Rindler space depends on the specific problem at hand. In general, it involves solving the equations of general relativity for the specific scenario, which can be a complex and challenging task. However, in simple cases, such as the gravitational field of a single massive object, the equations can be simplified to calculate the asymptotes in Rindler space.