1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can total angular momentum j be negative?

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm just stuck on one part of a larger problem. I need to find the range of total angular momentum values for an electron in a j-j coupling scheme.

2. Relevant equations
    j= l + and - 1/2

3. The attempt at a solution
    The electrons here are in a 5d 6s configuration. So for the second electron, l=0. This means j for the second electron is 0 plus and minus 1/2, so -1/2 and +1/2. This formula for j is what my book says to use with j-j coupling, but it seems to imply that j can be negative, and if that were the case, couldnt then J be a complex number? (Recall J=root(l(l+1))*hbar)
    Just a little stumped here, and I want to get this right so I don't screw up the rest of the problem. Thanks for any hints

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##j## cannot be negative. The ##l = 0## case is a little special. You only get ##j = l + 1/2## in this case. ##j = l - 1/2## is ignored when ##l = 0##

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3
    I appreciate the response! Cheers

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I would disagree that ##l=0## is a special case. When summing angular momenta ##\hat{j}_1## and ##\hat{j}_2## into ##\hat{J} = \hat{j}_1 + \hat{j}_2##, the quantum number ##J## can take the values
    $$
    J = \left| j_1 - j_2 \right|, \left| j_1 - j_2 \right| + 1, \ldots, j_1 + j_2
    $$
    The absolute value prevents ##J## from being negative, whatever the relative values of ##j_1## and ##j_2##.

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you are right.

From the OP it appears that the textbook might have written ##j = l \pm \frac{1}{2}## when combining the orbital and spin angular momentum of a single electron. Hopefully it was made clear that this doesn't hold for ##l = 0##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted