Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can two different infinite series converge to the same limit?

1. Dec 27, 2011 #1
    Hi,

The title of the thread doesn't adequately describe the question I want to ask, so here it is:

Suppose we have two infinite series, [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}b_n[/itex], both of which are convergent. Also suppose [itex]a_n \leq b_n[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex], and [itex]a_n < b_n[/itex] for at least one [itex]n[/itex]. Is it possible that they both converge to the same limit? Or can we say that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}a_n[/itex] is strictly smaller than [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}b_n[/itex]?

If the answer to the above question is that they can have the same limit, then what if [itex]a_n<b_n[/itex] for infinitely many [itex]n[/itex]?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2011 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Suppose [itex]a_i < b_i[/itex] and that [itex]a_n \leq b_n[/itex] for all [itex]n \neq i[/itex]. Then if [itex]\sum_{n \in \mathbb{N}}a_n[/itex] and [itex]\sum_{n \in \mathbb{N}}b_n[/itex] converge, it is easy to show the following:
    [tex]\sum_{n \leq i}a_n < \sum_{n \leq i}b_n[/tex]
    [tex]\sum_{n > i}a_n \leq \sum_{n > i}b_n[/tex]
    Adding these together gives
    [tex]\sum_{n \in \mathbb{N}}a_n = \sum_{n \leq i}a_n + \sum_{n > i}a_n < \sum_{n \leq i}b_n + \sum_{n > i}b_n = \sum_{n \in \mathbb{N}}b_n[/tex]
    This should answer your question.

4. Dec 27, 2011 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is no way they can have the same limit. If you compare finite sums including at least one n where an < bn, then the a partial sum will be smaller and there is no way it can make up the difference without a term with a > b.

5. Dec 27, 2011 #4
    Ok, that's great, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook