Can Two O Blood Group Parents Have a Child with AB Blood Group?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Suraj M
Gold Member
Messages
596
Reaction score
39
Is it possible for two O blood group parents to have a child with blood group AB, well this has happened, so I've heard, but how?
I can understand how 2 AB group parents can have a child tested as O blood group, but how is, the other way around, possible?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Suraj M said:
Is it possible for two O blood group parents to have a child with blood group AB, well this has happened, so I've heard, but how?
I can understand how 2 AB group parents can have a child tested as O blood group, but how is, the other way around, possible?
"so I've heard" is not an acceptable reference. If you have published evidence for this, please cite the source.

"Ancient aliens wrote the U.S. Constitution, so I've heard." See how authoritative that sounds?

It's not genetically possible for two O group parents to produce a child who is group AB. Somebody's mixed up, mistaken, or lying.
 
Ygggdrasil said:
t is also not possible for two AB parents to have a child with blood group O.
2 AB can have a baby tested as O, they can if both the parents are heterozygous ##Hh## there is a chance that the baby will be tested as O though the child belongs to bombay blood group..
SteamKing said:
so I've heard" is not an acceptable reference. If you have published evidence for this, please cite the source.
Actually my friend is AB and both her parents are O, and i am sure she's not adopted, and I've heard it is possible from my teacher :)
I'm surprised at the statistics of 1 in a million, thanks Raghav :)