1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can vibration be used to uniformly mix a solution?

1. Jan 13, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone. I'm wondering if vibration (likely acoustic) could be used to achieve a uniform suspension of an insoluble solid within a liquid solution? It seems completely reasonable to me, but I'm unable to find any information on the topic. I'm planning on getting in a lab to test it soon. Can anyone offer insight on what to expect or where to look for research in this area?

Thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can use it to make suspensions, and to break suspensions.
    http://engineeringworks.tamu.edu/2012/mixing-and-unmixing/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jan 14, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the link Bystander. Do you know of any laws associated with this phenomenon? For example, say I give you the density and volume of a liquid and a solid in a solution. I want to achieve a uniform suspension (illustration C) of the solid within the liquid. What kind of frequency must I introduce and at what magnitude? I know there are established formulae to achieve this with a blade stirrer, is there an established way to relate this to vibration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook