Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we be sure about there was nothing before big bang?

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    Can we be sure about there was nothing before big bang?

2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The Big Bang is not an "initial singularity", though pop science presentations often misleadingly imply that it is. The Big Bang is the hot, dense state that the Universe was in at the earliest times we have reliable knowledge of. There was certainly something before that; our current best theory is that it was a period of inflation.

4. May 12, 2015 #3

We cannot. Wish there were more questions about cosmology and cosmonogy that easy to answer. :cool:

5. May 12, 2015 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Certainly we cannot be sure there was not : ^)
    If you are really interested, I'd suggest you have a look at the December 2014 article by Yi-fu Cai and Edward Wilson-Ewing called "LambdaCDM Bounce Scenario"

they are very interested in ways that pre-bounce hypotheses can be TESTED by checking against observational data. that is really challenging.
    they make the straightforward assumption that the contracting pre-bounce phase was like our expanding universe (the LambdaCDM model that everybody uses) same physics, same type of geometry and material. that is at least a simple place to start.

To get the article (which has a mix of technical parts with less technical introduction and conclusions) you just need to google
    "LambdaCDM bounce" and get the "arXiv.org" free online PDF version.

there is a lot of current pre-"big bang" research available, but I would recommend this because comparatively straight forward.
    I'll get the URL for you, although googling the title is also very quick.
    http://arxiv.org/abs/1412.2914
    or
    http://arxiv.org/pdf/1412.2914.pdf

See what you can get our of pages 12 and 13, the conclusion at the end which are entirely in words, no equations.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  6. May 14, 2015 #5

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What would precede nothing?

7. May 14, 2015 #6
    How could we know? I happen to think , Like Thales and some other ancient Greek philosophers, that something cannot come from nothing, and something cannot turn into nothing. This is tantamount to saying something has always existed. How can no-thing exist? These are my opinions. But that is logic, which the universe seems to violate every so often just to mess with our minds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook