Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can we derive quantification of energy mathematically?

1. Sep 30, 2016 #1
    I'm studying for my introduction to modern physics exam, and reading about the ultraviolet catastrophe and why equipartition theorem stops working to explain blackbody emissions for high frequencies I was thinking if we could use the theorem to arrive at the quantification of energy (probably the answer is no).

I remember my professor saying that at some point we'll learn how we can arrive at the quantification of energy from some hypotheses, but I don't remember what that was.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

Quantization of energy appears when you solve Schrodinger's equation in many problems We can only guess at what your professor was thinking, but there's a fair chance that that's what it was.

4. Sep 30, 2016 #3
    Is it correct to say resonance in a classical mechanical or electrical system is quantisation of energy?

5. Sep 30, 2016 #4
    You're right, Thank you!

6. Sep 30, 2016 #5

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

No. The system can have any value of energy. Resonances are related to the transfer of energy, not it's amount.

7. Sep 30, 2016 #6
    Makes sense, I have always held the analogy when looking at atomic spectra as that of striking a bell with a hammer and looking at the non transient part of the ringing bell's frequency spectrum.

Can you help with the analogy if it is not OT.

8. Sep 30, 2016 #7

bhobba

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its deep, beautiful and powerful:

Mostly it is quantisised but the why will take you on a VERY interesting journey.

Thanks
    Bill

9. Sep 30, 2016 #8
    Unfortunately my phone overheats and shuts down after 20mins of YouTube so yet to watch the second half. That lecturer is a clever, passionate and gentle teacher. Gonna follow his clips.

Thanks for a great link.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted