1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can we separate heat from light?

1. Feb 15, 2012 #1
    Hello

The question is: it possible to separate heat from light?

(If its the wrong section of forum please direct me to more
    proper one)

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2012 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I'm not sure I know what you mean, but windows transmit visible light while blocking IR.

4. Feb 15, 2012 #3
    Uh ... infrared is electromagnetic radiation. Just like light.

5. Feb 16, 2012 #4

Yes. One way is called a cold mirror. It's a filter that reflects light but passes heat. You can buy them.

6. Feb 16, 2012 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

You have to be careful by what you mean when you say "heat". Heat is not a substance that is transferred between different objects. For example, when you stand near a fire, the electromagnetic radiation from the flames interact with your body and give up energy to you. This is one form of "heating". The light does not also contain some substance called "heat" that it delivers to you.

You also receive energy from the convection, but that's not what you're asking about.

7. Feb 16, 2012 #6
    Sorry for not being clear ,from your answers i understood i should've ask about splitting
    visible light and portion of electromagnetic radiation that is responsible for heating objects.
    Cold mirrors seems to be exactly what i was wondering about.
    Thank you for replies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook